FICM going bad? - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
im glad someone has pointed out that the operation ive been seeing is not normal, or i would have never know. i really appreciate the info.

now, next question, i noticed leaving work this morning, key on, FICM 49V, battery volt i dont remember, truck fired right up after glow plugs heated, voltage never dropped. as soon as the truck started, it was 48.5, 46, 44, 40, etc, all the way to 28v ...then after about a minute, to a minute and a half idle, i was back up around 38v, and about half way home (11 mile drive) i was at 49v. truck never acted weird or did anything funny which is what stumps me. im going to pull the FICM in the morning after work and see if i can do the fix myself, since i have the tools and knowledge (and the write up).

i saw the battery voltage drop to 11.6-11.8 right after start, and stayed around the mid 12's until i actually started driving. hot idle in the driveway was only fluctuating between 13 and 13.3 volts. recommendations on an alternator? i think the batteries are only a year or two old. i'll double check that though. what should i go with alternator wise? i may as well go ahead and do it. i saw factory was 110amp i believe. so should i go with the 140amp replacement for the extra power, seeing as ive read the factory just isnt enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Int.Tech04 View Post
im glad someone has pointed out that the operation ive been seeing is not normal, or i would have never know. i really appreciate the info.

now, next question, i noticed leaving work this morning, key on, FICM 49V, battery volt i dont remember, truck fired right up after glow plugs heated, voltage never dropped. as soon as the truck started, it was 48.5, 46, 44, 40, etc, all the way to 28v ...then after about a minute, to a minute and a half idle, i was back up around 38v, and about half way home (11 mile drive) i was at 49v. truck never acted weird or did anything funny which is what stumps me. im going to pull the FICM in the morning after work and see if i can do the fix myself, since i have the tools and knowledge (and the write up).

i saw the battery voltage drop to 11.6-11.8 right after start, and stayed around the mid 12's until i actually started driving. hot idle in the driveway was only fluctuating between 13 and 13.3 volts. recommendations on an alternator? i think the batteries are only a year or two old. i'll double check that though. what should i go with alternator wise? i may as well go ahead and do it. i saw factory was 110amp i believe. so should i go with the 140amp replacement for the extra power, seeing as ive read the factory just isnt enough.
That is normal with our trucks when they are cold cause of the draw from the glow plugs. Mine does the same thing for a few minutes till it warms up and then it jumps back up to mid 13s. I wouldnt worry about replacing your alternator.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm definitely going to check the FICM voltage at cold startup for sure. I've only checked it when the truck was at temp and had been driven a 20 mile + distance.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
this is what mine did when ficm voltage was getting in he low 40's. I got it fixed not long after this video. the cold starts especially in winter is when you will notice it
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 AM

I ran autoenguinity on my FICM just now and it is dipping to 43 on cold start. I have injectors failing contribution test and the injectors are rotating around from #2, to #4, to #6 and back and forth and none sometimes. I guess my FICM needs to be addressed???? WHat are you guys doing about the FICM - buying a new one, getting it rebuilt, etc?? If rebuilt, where? Thanks, Mike
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbreaux View Post
I ran autoenguinity on my FICM just now and it is dipping to 43 on cold start. I have injectors failing contribution test and the injectors are rotating around from #2, to #4, to #6 and back and forth and none sometimes. I guess my FICM needs to be addressed???? WHat are you guys doing about the FICM - buying a new one, getting it rebuilt, etc?? If rebuilt, where? Thanks, Mike
Ficmrepair.com

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Got it - thanks. I emailed them and got a quick reply. I did not realize there was so much that can be done with the FICM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.