04 torque converter uncoupling with cruise on? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 torque converter uncoupling with cruise on?

I noticed while running on the high way with cruise control on it seems the torque converter uncouples and rev's will run higher and don't seen to couple back up. Seems fine with cruise off, it will pull a good hill and not shift down or uncouple. Any thought's or idea's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Uncommanded tc unlocks were the final throes of death for my 5R110. Is it slam shifting into 5th and hunting for 6th? Mine did that, too. It also had a pause when put in R or D.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 AM

Every thing else seems normal and I never notice it unless cruise is on. Trans temp's generally run in 150's to low 160's at high way speed's.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Uncommanded tc unlocks were the final throes of death for my 5R110. Is it slam shifting into 5th and hunting for 6th? Mine did that, too. It also had a pause when put in R or D.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
the 5R110 (aka Torqshift) is a 5spd auto. the "6th" you mentioned is the RPM drop of the torque converter locking up (direct drive, 1:1). a constant lock/unlock of the torque converter is a sure sign of converter issues. you can try a flush and refill, but it will either prolong the inevitable or cause it to crap out completely.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Int.Tech04 View Post
the 5R110 (aka Torqshift) is a 5spd auto. the "6th" you mentioned is the RPM drop of the torque converter locking up (direct drive, 1:1). a constant lock/unlock of the torque converter is a sure sign of converter issues. you can try a flush and refill, but it will either prolong the inevitable or cause it to crap out completely.
The 5R110 is a 6 speed that only uses 5. How? It can use OD in 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd. A more realistic representation of how a 5R100 shifts would be:
1st
1stOD (2nd)
2nd(3rd)
2ndOD(4th)
3rd(5th)
3rdOD(6th)

However, because 4th is 1.09 and 5th is 1:1, it shifts from 3rd to 5th. Thus making the shift pattern 1,2,3,5,6 TC lock. If you are basing your claim from an Edge monitor of gear indication, know this, Edge is counting the "shifting events" NOT the actual gear. The ONLY time a 5R110 uses 4th gear is when it is below 10*, even then it only shifts 4 times: 1,2,3,4,6. I know most websites show 4th as 1:1 and 5th as 0.71, but that isn't true.

While I don't have the references, it's out there. I used to use Edge and thought that the 5R110 was strictly a 5 speed. The transmission settings on your SCT call for (among the other shifts) "3-5 shift pressure" and "4-6 shift pressure". Look up 3-5 Shift Flare in this forum or on Google, it is exactly what I am talking about.

One last thought to throw out there, TCI is selling a 6-speed variant of GM's 4 speed 480LE. Do you know how they did it? It's an electronically shifted transmission and they reprogrammed it to shift like a TorqueShift. Simply, they use OD in ALL gears, not just HI gear.

Click here, scroll down to the transmission part. http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60psd.htm

See page 38 on this PDF link also. http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon.../Dobdsm304.pdf

Last edited by Karls03; 12-06-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

after reading this, 5R110 TorqShift Transmission Specs, i see what you're talking about. it is not a "true" 6 speed by definition, it technically has no 6th gear, just engaging 3rd and OD at the same time. its electronic witchcraft

i use SCT, not edge.

Last edited by Int.Tech04; 12-06-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Int.Tech04 View Post
after reading this, 5R110 TorqShift Transmission Specs, i see what you're talking about. it is not a "true" 6 speed by definition, it technically has no 6th gear, just engaging 3rd and OD at the same time. its electronic witchcraft

i use SCT, not edge.
If you use SCT then you should be familiar with the fact that there is NO 4-5 shift. It gives 1-2, 2-3, 3-5, 4-6 shift firmness. 4-5 shift firmness is not an option because it doesn't happen.

That chart you referenced is not accurate. It is NOT showing you the true gear ratios that I referenced. Read over those links, the PDF says that if the OD clutch doesn't work you won't have 2nd, 4th, or 6th. Hmmm, sounds like OD is used more than just HI gear. These are 6 speeds, although 4th and 5th are so close it's pointless to use them in sequence. This is why these transmissions have been labeled as having "a hidden gear".
1st 3.11
2nd 2.20 (1st x OD)
3rd 1.54
4th 1.09 (3rd x OD)
5th 1.0
6th 0.71 (5th x OD)

Engaging 3rd and OD at the same time is how the AOD, AODE, 700R4, 200R4 and every other automatic overdrive transmission out there does it. Gear Vendors's ad in the 90s was "Make your Power Glide into a 4 speed".
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Try running it stock and see what happens. When I had a superchip on my truck it would do that. It would be fine till you set cruise then the torque converter would unlock. It's never done it stock or with SCT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.