High deltas....need advice on how to proceed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High deltas....need advice on how to proceed

I will try and keep this brief, but explain in enough detail. Looking for advice on how to go forward with this truck.

Truck is an 05 F250 4x2 CC that my dad has owned since 88k miles. Truck has roughly 130k on it now. There was NO MONITOR in this truck until recently, so unfortunatly we don't know what the temps were previously.

At about 125k miles, dad noticed the truck was losing coolant. We finally diagnosed it as the dreaded orange hose under the turbo. Since we were going that far, the shop did all of the following at one time.

1st...non chemical flush (this may be the problem)
Replaced orange hose of course
EGR delete
MPRP full exhaust
Edge CS
New oil cooler
Sinister coolant filter
ELC coolant

Picked truck up, ran great, coolant leak fixed and temps were great. 5-8 degree deltas and all was good.

I explained to dad to watch the ECT/EOT difference closely as that was one of the main reasons he bought the thing LOL. I've owned 6.0L trucks, but this is dads first one. After about 1500 miles he noticed the delta's starting to climb slowly. Then within about 100 miles deltas went from 10ish degrees, to 20-25 degrees (can an oil cooler clog this fast?). This is at 60mph on flat roads in south GA. On the interstate at 75mph (unloaded) can be as high as 30 degrees. ECT 190-192. EOT 210-220.

I cut open the first coolant filter after roughly 1000 miles and didn't see anything bad. The little bit of stuff that was in it looked like rust. Very small pieces and not much at all. Better than I expected. Didn't see any of the gooey stuff I've seen pictures of on here. Took the truck back to the shop (good friend) that did the install. He did a backflush on the oil cooler, and me and him both knew it was doubtful it would help. And it didnt. Temps really didn't change at all.

So....at this point what do we do? After doing a lot of reading on here, I'm thinking to do the complete Restore/Restore+ coolant flush and replace the oil cooler again.....HOPEFULLY for the last time. Dad has put roughly 5000 miles on the truck with the coolant filter, so I'm thinking between what is caught in the oil cooler, and the system being filtered for 5000 miles, it should be pretty clean now.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or plan of action in our situation. What I'm really after is the exact order I should do this. It is doubtful we can do the flush and oil cooler at the same time/weekend.

Complete flush one weekend.....then change oil cooler the following? Should I leave the current coolant filter installed thru the entire process until totally done then change?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My first question is what are the Deltas when on flat ground and at 60 mph?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

20-25 depending on ambiant temp. Been cool here in the mornings, 70ish during the day.

Typical readings at 60mph on Flat road are 190-192 ECT, 210-215 EOT.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ok. Sounds like that oil cooler is clogged. I dont know why it happened so fast, others on this site know more than me.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 PM

Based on the info that you provided, is it safe to say the current coolant filter has 4000 miles on it?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No the coolant filter has been changed twice since the original. Roughly 1000 on the first (that I cut open), 1500ish on the 2nd, so roughly 2500 or so on the current one.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Back to page 1. Is there any other possible reason for the oil temps to be so high other than a clogged cooler?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM

I hate to say it, but your oil cooler is clogged again. The coolant filter will catch some of the debris, but there are numerous people who were (or are) in the same situation as your dad: flush the coolant, replace the oil cooler, and have it clog again. A chemical flush and coolant filter may reduce the risk of another clogged oil cooler, but there's no guarantee. I got tired of rolling the dice (my luck isn't the best) and decided to order the Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler. No more worries about another clog or cross contamination of oil and coolant.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got some pictures I will post later today of the original oil cooler and what came out of it. Nasty!!!! Starting to realize why the 2nd oil cooler is now clogged so fast.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Just out of curisoity, when you do the oil cooler, does anyone do the radiator too? I I swapped the radiator, could have aid in the failure of the second cooler so quickly, the flush not getting it all out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.