Want f-250 but is 6.0l should be avoided? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want f-250 but is 6.0l should be avoided?

Hi guys.

I sold my f-150 like 7 years ago and been crying since then to buy a truck again.
There is no question about it. It will be a ford!

So I'm new to diesel. Since i always lift my trucks and run bigger tires, i know that a diesel will handle it way better and with better fuel economy than the V10 gas engine. Big tires seems to bog down gas engines. Diesel wont barely notice.

The price range of what I'm comfortable with, i wont have too much choice. Ill have to go with the 6.0 L or if I'm lucky and find a good deal on a more recent truck ,i might end up with the 6.4L. Is the 6.4L way better?

So here's the problem. All i ear or i read about the powerstrokes since they changed it from the 7.3 is bad things. To tell you the truth i'm terrified that it will cost me a fortune to keep this truck in working order. Is the newer powerstrokes really expensive to keep in order or even working?

This is my dream truck and wouldn't want this to be my worst nightmare.

Can someone explain to me what i should expect if i buy a f-250 diesel truck?

I expect to start looking for a truck in the new year and the truck will only be an occasional driver and wont see dirt. Plan to have a 7 inch suspension lift and 37 inch tires. This will be more for show. Not for work.

Will these truck require too many maintenance? My last truck was a 1994 f150 with a gas engine. Never had a problem engine wise. But the things i ear on those new powerstokes makes me think twice before buying.

Please help

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
why not get a 7.3?

and the v10 wont bog down if you re gear the axles to the proper ratio....
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Chapter Director

yea maybe consider a 7.3 you can't kill that engine with normal maintenace. the 6.0's yes require some money put into them if you want that feeling of absolute reliability. i love my 6.0 and wouldn't trade it for anything. i of course of done most of the things to make it more reliable and next hopefully last thing will be headstuds. its not that expensive if you do the work yourself.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

7.3's are gutless turds

6.0's require $4-5k to really bulletproof them, but once you spend that, they truly are awesome trucks.

Personally, I'd put that $4-5k towards a 6.4 and enjoy having the best truck on the road
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok im with you on this guys. With the info i got from other forums. Im definitively not going for 6.0L. I want to by a truck and drive it. Do regular maintenance but don't want to spend money on parts to make it work. These trucks are supposed to come out of dealer and work great. What the hell is wrong with ford on these diesels? Can't someone buy a truck without having to trow your wallet at it?

So with that being said. Is the stock 6.0L reliable?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Just my 2 cents. Any used truck is going to cost you. Yea the motor will last but was it maintained like it should of been for the last 150-200k. Anything over 100k is going to need work. The motor maybe ok but what about the rest of the truck. Do lots of research.
I did buy my 6.4 with 123k but I ran all the reports and saw it has never had anything major done to it. It did have oil change every 5k at ford dealers.
On the 6.0s I had two of them. I put 60-70k on both and they were not studded and had a custom tune sct on them since the day I bought them. I have a buddy selling his 03 6.0 with 230k all stock (does have a banks chip) and never had anything done to it other than routine maintenance. Then you have my brother, he had a 99 7.3 and at 120k the motor was trash. He had so many problems with that truck it's not even funny. So really they all have their good and bad. I love my 6.4 I have now and got a steal on it. I paid 15k for it with 123k. I did got to TX to get it but it was worth saving 10-15k .

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I took the plung on a 6.0 about 2 month ago A 2006 CCLB with 100400 mile i know about all the problems but if you read everything on this form about these motors and get a monitor first thing. And go step by step with the upgrades i think you are good to go. There's a risk with antyhing you buy used. I love my truck and can't wait till the first of the year to do my egr delete,exhaust,tune and coolant filter and go from there.These trucks have alot of a$$ from stock and the 6.4 have there issues to so JUST DO IT. I think in the long run you will be glade you did
Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok from what i see. Im not very impressed. Ive bought used cars forever and i know its always a risk. But from what you guys are saying. Even if the truck was well taken care of, you are telling me its nessassary to change everything to make sure it runs well. Why didnt i have to do this on any of my other used cars? Why didnt i have to do this on my last 3 ford f150's?

Is the powerstroke that ****ty? Are you guys gonna tell me the cummings and duramax are the same or better? I cant beleive a guy cant buy a truck whithout having to go through all this trouble. Cant a guy by stock and keep his truck running well without mods?

I am very disapointed right now
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM

You plan on putting $3500 wheels and tires on it and probably a $1200 lift but you wont put money into the engine?

Sounds like it's not as much of a dream truck as you are claiming.

I bought my 04 and paid $1200 for studs gaskets oil cooler and egr delete, then paid a guy $500 to put it in for me. Paid $700 for a used 8" lift, and $3500 for 37" tires and 20" wheels.

My buddy with a cummins bought an 8" lift for $1400, 37" tires and 18" wheels for $3500 and had to spend $1900 on a new transmission.

Who made out better?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

OP, It is not Ford or the trucks per se... It is the EPA with all their emmision crap on 6.0 and newer trucks. (all brands)

a 6.0 really should have it's EGR cooler replaced with an upgraded one or deleted($200-400)

A 6.4 or newer need the DPF deleted ($1500)

That is just life if you care about the well being of your emmision equipped vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.