Odd turbo noise after HPOP repair. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odd turbo noise after HPOP repair.

Had the truck in at the dealer this week for a HPOP replacement and oil cooler replacement and 5 days and 3200 later.. yea i know ouch... I picked the truck on Friday from the dealer started right up and ran great. Took it out for a drive and about 10 min from the dealer i start to notice a noise..

It sounds like its from the turbo and its almost like a blow off valve but not that high pitched. It happens between each shift and it makes a different wining sound when i use the motor to decel. I took it back in on sat but both diesel techs where out of the shop. The truck is not down on power and its running better then it has ever run since i have owned it. The engine bay and under side of the truck had oil sprayed all over it. Tech told me on Friday that when they reseated the turbo they didn't get the feed tube set in completely and that when they took it out on the test drive is sprayed oil all over the place...

They took the turbo back off and put a new o-ring on and got everything seated properly. I am afraid tho that they hurt the turbo with the oil leak. He said the truck was running fantastic when i picked it up Friday. Is it just me being paranoid from just getting the truck fixed or is there something wrong?

Thanks
-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM

bump... Didnt make it to the dealer today.. woke up late and had other issues to attend too
Old 12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would be paranoid i'd I had them working on my truck too, that is the first thing you check on the shop floor before you take it for a test drive. Did they check the oil after the debacle?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 PM

Yeah. It was full I checked it Friday when I got home.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'd be worried as well.
1. How long did they 'drive test' it without sufficient oil pressure to the turbo?
2. How much oil did they lose, and did they run the engine too low on oil?
3. How much life was taken from the injectors, which were probably starved for oil from the HPOP?
4. An open oil line will reduce oil pressure system wide.....how long were the rods and mains subjected to this?

Due to the nature of these being very expensive machines....and you would expect the dealer to do it right.....after all, that's why they charge a premium.....I would go beyond insisting on turbo replacement. I'd insist on either a rebuilt motor, a new crate engine.....or if they are so damn sure it's 100% fine, have them back it up with a 100,000 mile engine warranty specifically mentioning pistons, rings, bore, bearings, both oil pumps, injectors, coolers, etc.

I wouldn't waste any time, I'd get right on it. I had a Cat dealer changing a turbo for me one time, and he said he lost a bolt...couldn't locate it with an inspection mirror. They asked me what I wanted to do! I told them it's their call.....if the bolt did go inside, they'll be replacing the whole engine. Mechanic was sure it didn't fall in, they agreed to start it. They covered the hotel, and the next day I picked up my truck with the new engine. (With a warranty as well!)

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.