paranoid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
paranoid

i have just recently purchased a really nice 2005 super duty with 86000 miles, motor is spotless and runs and shifts perfect, after reading all the 6.o horror stories i wonder if i have doen wrong? are these motors as bad as they say? i see a bunch running around and most people i talk to dont share the same thoughts on the 6.0. my question is since i dont have any current issues i know of with this rig should i go ahead and delete egr now or wait till symptoms come up also should i do egr plus oil cooler plus coolant filter all at same time? would a v10 be a better option, thanks in advance for answers, jy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The 6.0 is a great engine. You only hear the bad stories because nobody ever comes on to post "my truck is running great". The best thing you can do right now is invest in an monitor ie: edge insight cs or sts, or if you have an iphone, the dashbass (beat you to it Rich). If you do the EGR delete, go ahead and change out the oil cooler (no sense going in a second time) and do a coolant flush to an ELC coolant, rather than for Ford gold stuff. A coolant filter is also a good idea. I wouldn't wait for symptoms to show up, a blown EGR cooler can/will lead to blown headgaskets (ask my wallet how I know that). If you can be preventative and do it early, I say go for it.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
If it ain't broke don't fix it. A lot of issues on this rigs happen because they don't get drove enough. I would drive it till it broke then fix it and drive her some more. If it were me.

Sent from my PG06100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

confused

while i truly appreciate both replys this is exactly why i am confused, some say dont concern till issues come up, others say do it before issues but only need the egr not the cooler etc. guess its a crap shoot but eventually your gonna spend soem big cash on a powerstroke 6.0, kinda like dirty harry says, do you feel lucky??
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Chapter Director

The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude can be very costly in the end. A small problem can lead to a very large and expensive problem very quickly. If you have the means to do it, I would to give you a peace of mind. The 6.0 is like having a cut on your foot, sure, it's just a scratch, but the longer you let it go on without dealing with the worse and more painful it's gonna get.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Monitoring system.
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Coolant filter. Get started on this. simple to install. Many to choose from. (was the first thing I put on my truck when I bought mine)

Correct maintenance. Oil every 5,000. A lot of us are running Rotella T-6.

Correct filters (Motorcraft or Racor for me)

Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Transmission Filters And Glow Plugs - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - OEM/Factory Parts

Additive for fuel. Diesel Kleen gray in summer, white bottle in winter, of course, depending on where you live. (Or your choice of Cetane booster)

If doing EGR delete, make sure your state doesn't do inspections. Wouldn't worry about this as of yet. I still have mine.

Enjoy your truck!!!!!!!! Learning is the best way to rid yourself of the paranoia.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

true but do i put a bandaid on before the cut? I guess the peace of mind is worth it and i do love the truck and want it to last forever so i guess the full egr delete, exhaust, coolant filter and oil cooler is way to go, anthing else to bullet proof?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Chapter Director

To really bullet proof, especially if you plan on a tuner, headstuds and oem gaskets. Thats quite a few bucks and hours more work. But after that, you're pretty much good to go.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Oh, stop by the local Ford dealer and get an Oasis report on the truck. It will show you the warranty history. Anything done under warranty will give you an idea of things that have already been done.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Chapter Director

^^^ Good advice right there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.