Oil cooler? Oil type? Recent high deltas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil cooler? Oil type? Recent high deltas

Ive had my truck for over 2 years now. Original owner put new oil cooler, coolant filter, studs, etc etc all at 60k miles. I bought the truck with 80k miles on it. Truck always had synthetic in it until my turbo and then HPOP took a dump 105k miles. Supposedly according to the mechanic that did my HPOP said that my rotella t6 was extremely dirty and could have also been the reason my semi new powermax's bearings took a dump. Mind that my oil had been changed 3k miles before all this happened. So anyways, i would never have more than a 9-10 degree delta on the highway before the HPOP. This guy puts regular Valvoline in it and says to change every 3k miles. Truck ran fine as always but i noticed it ran hotter with this oil on the highway, and my deltas started to get a little more into the 12-14 area but then sometimes it would stay around 8-9. The weather in Florida is pretty much the same year round and there's alot of flat grade highways so its not like im putting a huge load on the motor. I changed the coolant filter at around 85K and i never cut it open to look but it did look dirty. Thought nothing of it because i knew it was doing its job. Now within the last 2 months and 3k miles after another regular Valvoline oil change and another coolant filter, i cut open the filter and it was badly full of red slimmy crap. Like bad. I couldn't understand why this was happening because its always had ELC since 60k miles. So i figured it was doing its job aswell. Now my Deltas are way high. Last week it hit a 23 degree delta for the first time ever. My coolant temp runs 186-188 on the highway and wont run 190 unless i beat it for a little then it runs back down, but my oil temp keeps climbing! Ive been seeing 186 ECT and 204-205 EOT lately and im confused. It does okay in the city, always 5-6 delta, if i start beating on it then the EOT will run to 199-200.

Is my cooler clogged?? or is it the oil causing this. How could it get clogged again in such a short period of time especially after being changed at 60k with coolant filters? Never had problems until my oil got changed to regular dino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM

your oil didn't take out the turbo... are you experiencing compressor surge?

put the synthetic back in and see if your deltas come down
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 PM

I dont think ive ever heard it surge. When ever im in over 10 pounds and i have to let off the throttle ill hear the waste gate open but that's what its for.

Im going to change the oil next week and hope for the best
Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When you say "regular valvoline" are you saying it's not rated for diesel engines, cj4, iirc? What coolant filter are you using? ALOT, of us run rotella t6. Your, "mechanic", has some issues, you may want to reconsider bringing your truck back to him. Are you running motorcraft or racor filters with a matching oem cap?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
When you say "regular valvoline" are you saying it's not rated for diesel engines, cj4, iirc? What coolant filter are you using? ALOT, of us run rotella t6. Your, "mechanic", has some issues, you may want to reconsider bringing your truck back to him. Are you running motorcraft or racor filters with a matching oem cap?

noo its the valvoline premium blue 15w40. Id go crazy on him if he put regular oil in it. Im using the sinister diesel one, i used the first two filters from the kit and recently i went and bought a fram one. I always ran motorcraft but i switched over to racor this last oil change. And no the Cap is aftermarket but i dont have pressure problems from it not engaging the filter enough

He did a great job on the truck but i was curious as to why he switched to regular dino
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 AM

I'm confused as your turbo doesn't have a wastegate
Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 AM
Premium Member

Have you checked your temp sensors after a cold soak, is it possible you installed a charged coolant filter, one with chemicals? I was looking for the filter #, when I asked, that would be a problem. And no I dont believe a dino oil can change your deltas drastically. It seems you are waiting too long to change your filters if the system was originally dirty. Are you running a bypass oil filter system?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
I'm confused as your turbo doesn't have a wastegate
I saw that too, I was trying to get through the oil and coolant filter situation first.....lol

Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
I saw that too, I was trying to get through the oil and coolant filter situation first.....lol

Yeah i totally forgot i had VGT. Im used to the Gasoline world when it comes to turbos.

The filter is a fram 3383. All EOT, ECT, and IAT are within 1 degree of eachother after it sits overnight.

And i do not have bypass oil filter

Coolant filters got changed 3 times since 84K miles. She now has little over 105K.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 AM
Premium Member

You sure that aftermarket cap is ok? Watch this video......http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/f...k-filters.aspx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.