Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

lil advice on REV-x

8K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  SickStroke6.0 
#1 ·
so just re soldered my FICM yesterday didn't make any difference everything is fine voltage wise. when i do start my truck she runs rough for a few seconds then idles fine she is blowing a little bit of white smoke for the first minute or two then none. when i do take it for a drive it hesitates a lil when in higher RPM until its warmed up and then she 100%. So I'm thinking its the injector stiction and i want to try the REV-x stuff anybody have any advise on this!!!:confused:

#40 ·
Oil and additves are like anything. Some people might say it works and some might say it doesnt. Ya know, someones grandfather has been doing something since he was 12 so its good enought for me - crap.

Look at what is in each product.
Have it tested at a lab.

Bottom line, some of the stuff out there is good and some is bad.

#41 ·
Well there has been a lot of before and after videos for both Rev-X and Archoil, both have shown the results of the product.

#42 ·
I think I might give the archoil a try and see what happens but my question is I have less than 500 miles on fresh rottella 15w-30?? ( I know forgive me for I did not know what I was doing) is it just a waste of $ to throw the archoil in and run it for a bit or juz do the whole Rottella synthetic first?

#43 ·
holly crap after a new bpd cooler filter 5 gallons of synthetic and a jug of archoil Im lookinat $155 +/-!

#56 ·
I NOW FEEL BETTER ABOUT THE 155$$ check this out-http://www.sears.com/royal-purple-54520-api-licensed-sae-5w-20/p-SPM7499016411?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3
That would be a gallon of royal purple 5w-30 for $289.15 a gallon!!! That would make a $1500 oil change:roll1:

#45 ·
I think I might give the archoil a try and see what happens but my question is I have less than 500 miles on fresh rottella 15w-30?? ( I know forgive me for I did not know what I was doing) is it just a waste of $ to throw the archoil in and run it for a bit or juz do the whole Rottella synthetic first?
If you are worried about the cost, I would try the archoil for the next 2500 miles as the archoil says it will "remove all deposits", then make the switch, if not, I would switch the oil only first and see what happens.

I bought some archoil and some rotilla t6 and then I switched the oil first, from rotella 10w 30 to the t6 5w 40, and the difference was significant, the truck started up better with the t6 with an oil temp of 48 degrees than with the 10w 30 after being plugged in with the block heater. The truck just feels smoother, especially before reaching full operating temperature. Best way I can describe it is it feels like the truck is fully warmed up even though I just turned it over.

I just added achoil now, 5 days later, as I had it already, but I'm not sure if it will make any difference as it's running great already. (really hoping I didn't just jinx myself)

Phil

#46 ·
dkmhockey155, you never answered my question: What is the ambient temp when your truck is running rough at start up? 103K of dino oil and no additives mine is only cranky when down in the 40s or below. All summer it's fine. It's fine if I plug it in, but then the EOT/ECT are 70~80 then.

#47 ·
Someone named "the oil guy" (i believe) did a very thorough side to comparison of archoil and rev-x including contacting the companies, lab tests, etc. ill try to find the write up for ya guys

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#48 ·
Archoil worked just as good for me, I have used both. If you have stiction it will fix it if you have a weak injector (like me) it will not fix it :thumb:

#49 ·
Will the temp is prolly anywhere below 45. On a side note the rev-x went in today hopefully I have good news in the next couple days.

#52 ·
The issue could be that it simply needs to warm up, but being in a similar situation, I have gone the RevX route. I'll have to wait until it gets back into the 40s to give an answer of how it works for me.

Also, to those using RevX: Are you using the 8 oz recommended on the bottle or just the single 4 oz bottle? I ask because when I bought my first bottle, I didn't know so I only got one.

#50 ·
no reason to dump out brand new oil, even if it is 15W40. unless you need to start it at -25 without plugging it in. conventional 15W40 is fine at -35 IF its plugged in. try either rev-x or archoil and try putting the block heater on a timer for an hour or two just to warm it up a bit.the heads are about the first thing that heats up from the bh, so the injectors and the oil in the rails is thin. by the time fresh oil from the pan makes it through the LPOP, and the HPOP its starting to move a little more freely, and its hitting an injectors thats already cycled a few hundred times.

#51 ·
Okay this sounds good so today I go on the hunt for archoil!!! ( I was about the REV X but you guys convinsed me...)

#54 ·
I put in some AR9100 with my last oil change with my T6 5w40 and it didn't do shyte for my engine. I think I'm going to have to try and add some Rev-x back in and see if makes any difference.

#57 ·
Rev-x, didn't do anything for mine. I had a bad injector, so really what everyone should understand with these additives is, they are only good for varnish buildup in the spool valve. When someone says it didn't work and says nothing else about how the truck was fixed, it's just a statement, with little value.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#60 ·
i had the SAME exact problem u are currently having about a month ago... turns out, i had 2 injectors that would not even come on untill the engine was up to 120 degrees... i was told to not drive it like that due to it might warp the cylinder walls. i was getting a random misifre code. the code did not turn the engine light on my dash though. i had to pull it with my edge cts to see it. hope all goes well!

#62 ·
Depends on whether or not the dr MAILED it to you but didn't bother telling you that you needed TWO BOTTLES when it was shipped out!!! As in you had to figure it out on your own when you opened the box.
Therefore how many guys (if any) said "$30 a bottle!?! And it says TWO!?! Eff that!" And only put in one!?!

How effin hard of a question was it!?!

It could explain some of the negative results statements.
sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone

#66 ·

mine is pretty much doing the samething. i had the FICM replaced this time last year..

#70 ·
the first time you use rev-x they say put in 8oz, second time just one... i use rev-x oil and fuel additives, they work great and i didn't notice any difference between the two (rev-x and Archoil).. i only still use rev-x because its what i used first

#72 ·
generally the feeling has been that the archoil oil additive frees up the HEUI injectors which the 6.4 does not have. if it generally increases lubricity it certainly can't help to be of some benefit to any engine. as far as their fuel additive I run it in my pickup,our gas cars, both motorcycles, and the small engines. all of them seem to start and run better. It amazes me too how such a small amount actually makes a difference

#76 ·
Yes, I agree. But if it can clean out a 6.0L, it should be able to do the same for a 6.4L. Will I notice a difference like the 6.0L guys do? Probably not.

ok so last Wednesday i put the 2 bottles of rev-x in..... well what a difference, i don't even i havens plugged the truck in at all for the last 5 days and its gotten down to 27. NO MORE COLD STARTS and its not running sluggish when its cold i totally back rev-x all the way.
Have you ever ran Archoil? If not, I hate to be crude, but your opinion is invalid.

Wasn't sure which to go with, Archoil or Rev-X, and being that neither are readily available anywhere in my City as far as I can find, I opted to order the Archoil.

The truck, when cold and sitting overnight, sounds like 1 cylinder is not firing for the first 5 3 ~ 10 seconds or so. Thought it may be a glow plug issue, but haven't had time to tear in to it.

Going to do an oil change soon and toss it in there, will report back on the findings.

Also thinking of going to Rotella T6. Currently just have the old dino oil in there.
Might take me a while to get back on this one.
T6 will make a huge difference as well. The 6.0L's are pretty picky about oil.

Dont they sell a product that is made to clean out the system besides the 9100? I wonder if that would work as well?
I believe it is the Archoil AR2300. A fella PM'd me about it. I'm thinking about running that for last 500 miles in my oil change interval, then swapping to T6 and some 9100.

#73 ·
ok so last Wednesday i put the 2 bottles of rev-x in..... well what a difference, i don't even i havens plugged the truck in at all for the last 5 days and its gotten down to 27. NO MORE COLD STARTS and its not running sluggish when its cold i totally back rev-x all the way.

#74 ·
Wasn't sure which to go with, Archoil or Rev-X, and being that neither are readily available anywhere in my City as far as I can find, I opted to order the Archoil.

The truck, when cold and sitting overnight, sounds like 1 cylinder is not firing for the first 5 3 ~ 10 seconds or so. Thought it may be a glow plug issue, but haven't had time to tear in to it.

Going to do an oil change soon and toss it in there, will report back on the findings.

Also thinking of going to Rotella T6. Currently just have the old dino oil in there.
Might take me a while to get back on this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.