Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Great towing mileage

704 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Int.Tech04 
#1 ·
Just finished towing my son's Superduty V-10 back to my house, replaced the fuel pump. 325 mile round trip, empty trailer out, about 8200 lbs back and I did it the hard way I took the scenic route climbing 2 ranges of the Blue Ridge out and back I-81 to Rt 211 to RT66 to NOVA and back. I averaged 14.5 MPG round trip. I was banging nearly 20mpg out with the 2200 lb trailer behind unloaded.

First time I towed with my rebuilt FICM from FICMREPAIR with the atlas 40 tune.
I also was using Supertech outboard oil in my fuel, 1oz/gallon, thanks for the tip, my truck loves the stuff. I actually believe it helps the diesel burn better as well as lube the injectors. I've never seen this kind of mileage before.

#3 ·
Of course, 325 miles, 22.5 gallons fill up when I returned.

#4 ·
That's pretty good mileage. I've towed that way myself and both of those mountains are pretty good pulls. Not long, but pretty good pulls. The bigger story here is the 'scenic route'. In my experience, that's where the fuel mileage is best. Like most engines, when you start calling on the 6.0 for speed and especially towing speed, it gets thursty.

k

#5 ·
i noticed the "thirsty running 65-70" on the interstate while towing. i was towing a Uhaul tandem axle car trailer with my 85 Nissan 4x4 king cab on it, and trying to run close to 70 on the interstate netted me 100 miles from full to half a tank. i about **** a brick. on the long winding roads from Abingdon VA, to Damascus VA to Mt.City TN and finally into Boone NC, i saw a lot better mileage. i did find out the 6.0 seems to tow better at 2,250rpm and higher. i stopped in Abingdon and fueled up, checked my oil and coolant level. it amazes me that i have almost 3k on this oil change, and it still looks like i just changed it. im officially a believer in the Fleetguard Stratapore filters we use at work. if its good for a Semi, its good for my 6.0.

but i agree on the better fuel mileage towing between 40-55mph, even up hill. i love SCT's "jake brake" function for tow/haul. i was coming down the mountain to my hometown in Wilkes county, tapped the brakes, truck downshifted, and never went above 55mph down hill using the VGT as an exhaust brake. awesome. just awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.