Help with 1st purchase please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with 1st purchase please

Hello I'm new to the forum and to diesel's. I'm looking to purchase a Ford truck. My budget is looking only to allow me a 6.0. Here is a link to the truck I'm looking at. 2006 Ford Super Duty F-250 Lariat | Denver, North Carolina | Darin Grooms Auto Sports, Inc

I don't know the first thing about diesel's. I'm doing some research on this forum right now. I test drove it today and I really enjoyed the ride. When I first started it up there was a little bit of white smoke that exhausted. Is this common and should it eventually go away? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No, there shouldn't be white smoke at startup. Good indication the ficm is bad. Read all the stickies, best to get a monitor on it while test driving.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
There are plenty of 6.0 out there saying that you can get a deal on one. To me you should spend at the most 20k with studs, without 16k. Get a monitor on it make sure you check for codes.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedemon6.0 View Post
There are plenty of 6.0 out there saying that you can get a deal on one. To me you should spend at the most 20k with studs, without 16k. Get a monitor on it make sure you check for codes.
So I should look for one that has had the problems fixed?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrooks1983 View Post
So I should look for one that has had the problems fixed?
Talking about studs..........Not necessarily, unless you can verify if a reputable shop installed the studs, there have been alot of trucks studded without proper head work.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

I'm not saying to look for a truck with studs, I'm saying I would not pay 20k for a truck without studs.
I bought my 04 6.0 for 14k without studs, it had 160k miles on her. It did not have a monitor on it, I put one on and found out my oil cooler was pluged. I decided to pull the heads and have them pressure tested, found out 8 of my valve guides were worn out. I have about 20k total in my rig all the mods I did myself and she is like new, that even includes a set of cooper at3's. So I have this awesome rig that can tow whatever you want for a total of 20k invested.
What I am trying to say is you don't know what you have until it is to late. So give yourself some play in the price for repairs.

Sent from my PG06100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm not saying to look for a truck with studs, I'm saying I would not pay 20k for a truck without studs.
I bought my 04 6.0 for 14k without studs, it had 160k miles on her. It did not have a monitor on it, I put one on and found out my oil cooler was pluged. I decided to pull the heads and have them pressure tested, found out 8 of my valve guides were worn out. I have about 20k total in my rig all the mods I did myself and she is like new, that even includes a set of cooper at3's. So I have this awesome rig that can tow whatever you want for a total of 20k invested.
What I am trying to say is you don't know what you have until it is to late. So give yourself some play in the price for repairs.

Good advice, same type of situation with me, 04 kr 4x4 cc, 168k, $13k, 24 deltas clogged oil cooler. I'm sure my head gaskets are ok though.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
ok am i retarded for buying a 100% stock 6.0L with 40K miles on it for $36K? its got 65K now with no problems and i done work on her to start bullet proofing. i'm in the north east BTW
Old 12-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
ok am i retarded for buying a 100% stock 6.0L with 40K miles on it for $36K? its got 65K now with no problems and i done work on her to start bullet proofing. i'm in the north east BTW
If your truck is making money for you I'd say you did good. If it is worth it to you, then yes. Mine is a daily driver it doesn't make money for me. 40k miles is low but to a diesel that is nothing. These rigs if taken care of can last 500k+ miles. For 36k you could have got an 08 with decent miles. That is my 2 cents.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
Since your asking, yes thats pretty steep......but if your happy with it, thats ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.