BPD oil cooler temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BPD oil cooler temps

Although my 2005 F 250, almost 93000 miles, has given me no trouble whats so ever since it was new, I am going to tear it down and stud it this winter. I did an EGR delete when it was young on a friends advice that has had Ford diesels since they were introduced. I just tig welded up both ends of the cooler and put it back on.

When I tear it down I was going to replace the oil cooler even though I only have 3 to 5* deltas, unless I'm towing or a real long hill. Now reading all this discussion about remote oil coolers I am thinking that a remote cooler might be the end of all the worrying about oil cooler failure. There seems to be some strong opinions in the other thread so I thought I'd ask a simple question here. What kind of EOT temps and deltas are you seeing with the BPD kit. I'd have to go with the cold weather one?

Anyone with the IPR kit are welcome to answer also.

Last edited by Ron-M; 11-28-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM

I installed the BPD oil cooler about five thousand miles ago. My EOT typically runs ten degrees or so cooler than my ECT. When towing my trailer, my EOT will rise slightly above the coolant temp. WOT runs will also make the oil temp rise, but I have never seen it go above 210 even when towing in the mountains.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You don't have to monitor the "delta's" with the BPD kit as it completely separates the oil and cooling systems therefore you can simply monitor them as their own PID and never have to worry about delta's again.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What he said
Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 PM

I had a two hour round trip last weekend, ambient temp was 66*. I read 181* ECT and 179* EOT for pretty much the whole ride while running 65 mph. By comparison. I saw 198* ECT and 199* EOT on an 8 hour drive where I was running 75-80 mph in 96* weather.

Edit - as Bryan mentioned, since your coolant isn't being used to regulate your oil temps, the temperature difference between the two isn't something you have to worry about.

The cold weather kit is recommended for anyone living in an area where the average winter temps are around 32* F or lower.

Last edited by Snake; 11-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM

Im normally around 10* cooler than the coolant. Heck Im almost to the point were Im gonna stop watching EOT...LOVE MY BPD
Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 PM

BPD not only separates the oil and water, they increase the amount of oil in the system by about a gallon. The oil filter that they selected will filter a larger volume oil than the factory set-up. I am also using their bypass filter and believe the oil is much cleaner than before.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

EOT cooler than ECT. Thats amazing. It must take a while for the mind to get trained to not look for the deltas all the time. I tow heavy a lot in the summer and watch the deltas like a hawk.

13* yesterday morning warmer this morning at 18* so the cold weather kit would be a necessity for me. When cold weather hits I will need it I believe. I looked at BPDs site and the filter location looks like the snow, ice and road salt could be a problem. I suppose though that the filter being engine temperature you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the replies. It helps to make an educated decision.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-M View Post
I looked at BPDs site and the filter location looks like the snow, ice and road salt could be a problem. I suppose though that the filter being engine temperature you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Check out the pics in post #7. IMO, snow/ice won't be an issue.

Bulletproof Diesel Oil Cooler INSTALL

As you mentioned, the oil temp will also play a big role. After I installed my kit, we started the truck and idled it for around 5 minutes to get some of the air of of the oil lines. By then, the oil filter was already almost too hot to touch.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

I see what you mean. It is pretty well protected.

What a nice write up you did. Impressive and helpful.

I have had this truck since it was new, maintained it meticulously and spent very little money on it. I have been looking at this site for a while and joined about 3 months ago. I'm spending more money now than I ever thought I would on my truck getting ready for the studs (that I never considered before). You guys are draining my bank account LOL. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.