previous 7.3 owner possibly getting a 6.0 with concerns - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
previous 7.3 owner possibly getting a 6.0 with concerns

hey guys i was looking at getting a 2003 6.0,heres a link for the ad..http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3419280760.html Its a beautiful truck for a good price but coming from a 7.3 this engine kinda scares me.I was hoping you guys could ease my mind about it.My main concern is the obvious likely failures and the cost to fix them.If i buy the truck i wont be able to afford thousands of dollars in repairs for a truck that im still paying on.I know the early models were more prone to hg failures and turbo issues and i think egr problems as well.The truck has 160k miles and its never had any of these problems so im worried that if i get it the head gaskets will pop shortly after that,just my luck.How likelyare these issues to happen now if its been trouble free thus far? is there anything i can do to prevent these failures through maintenance? I dont want to worry every time i pull a trailer or get on it aliitle bit that im gonna blow the head gaskets.I know with the 7.3's you dont have to worry about that.In my area there are alot more 6.0 in the crew cab shortbed config that i want then 7.3's.The more info the better guys,i dont want to make an expensive mistake,thanks alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM

oh and im reading up on the stickies now about the 6.0.............
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM

That is a clean truck! If it has made it 160k without issues then it more than likely will be a good truck. And with it having a gooseneck hitch already that makes me think the previous owner used it for a truck. Which is good because if its been pulling heavy and there's no puking coolant then you know the head gaskets are in good shape. All 6.0's, no matter the mileage, can have oil cooler or EGR cooler problems. But if you get a monitor and pay attention it will tell you when something is wrong BEFORE it costs you thousands. The head gaskets don't pop as easy as everyone makes it out to seem. 95% of the time it is caused from a bad oil or EGR cooler. There are plenty of trucks running big tunes on stock head bolts.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 AM

yea i have just heard that if you buy a 6.0 to have around 5 grand set aside for repairs,i dont have that kind of money to blow on the truck.I know what to expect with the 7.3 but the 6.0 is a new animal to me
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Go buy a scanner and take it for a test drive( you should have one on the 6.0 all the time). If the EOT and ECT temps look good I wouldn't hesitate. Read the monitoring 6.0 thread. I would plan on doing a EGR delete and new oil cooler for predictive MX if it hasn't been done. Truck looks good.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
have an oasis report run on it and see what it turns up. It would tell you if any warranty work was done on it when it was new or if it has had any issues
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM

ok well i talked with the owner again and they said it was just in a diesel shop recently for 2 injectors being replaced as well with othere items with a total of 4 grand.They are gonna call me back when they find the receipt with exactly what was done.The woman mentioned a oil pump so im assuming the hpop was replaced as well.It also has a programmer on it,she wasnt sure exactly which one though.So 4k is seems like quite abit for 2 injectors and a hpop,i could be wrong but we will see when they call back with specifics.thanks for all the info so far guys
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Definatly let us know what you find out!

It seems like a very clean and well maintained truck. As stated above GET A MONITOR for the test drive. You can get a ScanguageII for about $150. Check the delta between the ECT and EOT while cruising at 65mph unloaded on flat ground, it should be less than 10 degrees. That will tell you the health of the oil cooler.

If the oil cooler is good then I would say your good to go. Throw a coolant filter on it ($200) and be on your way
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Not trying to be a jerk here because I don't know you or your situation, but from the outside looking in I'd say to hold off until you can afford that truck. If you've got to finance it and that's going to put you near broke to the point you can't afford repairs, why not keep your perfectly good truck until you can?

Being in debt sucks, but being in debt with a broken truck and no way to get to work or repair it is downright stupid.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just noticed your from Plantation. I'm from Boca Raton (just north and east) of plantation. If you ever had any problems I'd be glad to help you out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.