A good truck to buy or should I pass over it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Buy, pass or wait?
Go for it 0 0%
Pass on it 7 63.64%
Wait a bit on it 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A good truck to buy or should I pass over it?

I'm going to open a new thread solely for this truck. Been looking for a PSD and found a real nice one at a Ford dealer nearby.

LINK: Used 2005 Ford F-350 XLT (Blue Truck) Mendham, NJ

I stopped by tonight to look at it with my brother. I used to be part owner on an '85 F250 utility truck with the 6.9L International Diesel. That's the last time I dealt with a diesel truck. It's been gone for 2 years now and I wasn't really around it a whole lot to understand the ins and outs.

The truck in question is a beautiful 2005 CrewCab shortbox XLT 4x4 with the FX4 package and the misunderstood 6.0.

On the outside there are no issues with the body or suspension. Professional grade spray in bed liner. Body color matched grille and bumper. No rust on the body. There's surface rust on the frame but I can deal with that. No signs it's been used as a plow truck, no gooseneck hitch either. Just a hitch under the rear bumper. May have been used to tow. Was registered as a commercial truck here in Jersey.

Inside was detailed to the extreme and no damage anywhere.

Now onto the actual powerplant/drivetrain. MBRP muffled turbo back exhaust (Full stock exhaust is in the bed.) and an AEM cold air intake round out the bolt ons.

The tuner I originally spied is an Edge Juice Attitude. It goes to a small box under the hood that's been hot wired in and has the Edge logo plastered on it. I'm thinking this is the FICM I've read about?

Sales guy fired it up. I'd say a second or two cranking before it caught. There was a skip/misfire/hiccup (whatever diesel guys call it) for a moment then it smoothed out and was fine. i will add that it was cold and snowing outside. No smoke from the tailpipe upon startup but it did eventually start to (similar to a cold gas engine) Eventually it kicked up a notch in idle speed. Drove fine as well.

Basically the tuning and the skip have me concerned and I can see that it's still running the TTY bolts. I was also told i'll have to sign a waiver if I buy the truck because of the installed tuner. So now I ask you guys. Go for it, pass it, or sit on it for a bit? I know you can't really tell from pictures and my poor information relaying but I'd still like some input. What do you say?

_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Since it had a monitor were you able to check the deltas on your test drive? Delta is difference between coolant temp and oil temp after truck is warmed up and at operating temp. it shouldnt be more than 15* if it is then the oil cooler is clogged and need to be replaced. Also the edge product you saw that was wired in was by the battery on the driver side I assume? that is the tuner. The FICM is on the driver side valve cover.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you know for sure you want a 6.0, then buy a monitor device to take with you on the test drives. Your gonna want to know what condition the motor is in before you buy. Get a Oasis report to see if STC fitting, dummy plugs, stand pipes have been upgraded under warranty. Also check the report for extreme issue, you could even post the report here for one of us to go over it for you.

I'll briefly point out what needs to be checked/monitored. ECT/EOT delta, more than 15* and your looking at a new oil cooler. FICMv should stay above 46v while cranking, and running.

Here is some links to get you started on education of the 6.0.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/96...used-6-0l.html

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

If you can, get some pics of the engine, then post them up for us to go over.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Damn!! I type slow!! LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-27-2012, 02:44 PM

It looks really nice, but I would talk them down a bit. 20,000 for an XLT trim is a bit high to me
Old 11-27-2012, 02:46 PM

DEVERO2 - Since I didn't know what it was displaying I didn't really pay that much attention to it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
If you can, get some pics of the engine, then post them up for us to go over.
I only have 2 -

The one from the dealer's site:

And one that I now see as poor quality that I snapped tonight. - Over driver's battery showing the questionable box:

_
Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 PM

yeah a bit pricy trust me they know about the 6.os i would start at 15500 then end at 17500.and the waver thing i would say no if they want u to sign off then another 1000 off i have 2006 i love it it has 94000 on it i paid 14500 and is mint with leather just needed tires
Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I chose wait... You need to do some research about the 6.0 to properly buy a truck and not get screwed... Deltas, FICM voltage, fuel pressure, battery voltage, exhaust smoke, what type of coolant, how much coolant, EGR delete, Coolant filter... These are all things you need to learn about the 6.0 to make an educated decision and make them fix any repair needed and not you after you buy and sign that form... Even $1k wont be enough if your HG are blown and you sign it.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Pass. Price is too high. This summer I bought an 07 lariat CC FX4. A few minor scratches and small dings on the box. No mods, but no potential problems showing either. One year off of warranty with only minor work done, 3 injectors and one glow plug at 98,000 due to rough cold start. Delta excellent, injectors fine, not puking or blow-by, no leaks, starts and runs fine. Underside looked like it just rolled out of the factory. Only thing it needed was new tires. $17k
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
spend the next couple of days reading up on how and what to monitor and check while on another test drive. The Edge will be able to tell ya most but not all of what you want to know. And then if everything checks out dont pay over 17-18k especially if you have to sign a waiver, check craigslist for the going rate in your area then look up blue book on trade in value and that will tell you aprox how low you can go on an offer. Just keep in mind the stealers are in business to make money if they dont they wont be in business for very long. Also maybe find a good 6.0 shop to take it to and spend a couple hundred bucks to protect yourself and maybe give you some more bargining power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.