Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4x4 problems

537 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  twoicebergs 
#1 ·
Ive got a 2004 f-250 with esof and it will not go into 4x4...i have tried auto and manual, both high and low range...it just stays in 2wd...transfer case locks in, but hubs wont engage...with blower on it doesnt go to defrost so should i still think vaccum or is it the hubs themselves...also, if it is the hubs, should i go with warn manual lockers (cheaper than oem autolockers) ?

#2 ·
Yes. You have a vacuum leak. The hubs have O-Rings inside. They come apart pretty easily. I would start there. There are some write ups on this site for your problem.

#3 ·
With the ESOF, the transfer case will not lock in until the hubs are locked and the switch has been selected. The logic is designed to prevent the TC from engaging until the input shaft is synchronized. You need the switch in the 4x4 position and the vacuum pressure to engage the hubs or the TC will not engage nor will the light illuminate. I believe manually locking the hubs will override the vacuum for the logic, but it has been a while troubleshooting one of these.

The hubs should lock manually. It is highly unlikely the internals would both break at the same time.

You need to check the switch/motor position on the TC to see if it working. You can visually check if it is engaged. After 20-30 seconds it times out if it does not make it to a new position. remember for 4x4 low you also need very low speed or stopped, a brake signal and neutral for it to shift into low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.