Advice Before Changing Coolant/Already did EGR Delete and Oil Cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice Before Changing Coolant/Already did EGR Delete and Oil Cooler

Hello everybody, great forum. I have spent a lot of time here recently researching and trying to figure out how to best protect my 2006 6.0. I now know that I need to change coolant but am unsure how to proceed given my specific circumstance.

My truck is a 2006 6.0 with 65,000 miles on it. I bought it used in 2006 with only about 4,000 miles on it and at the time was completely unaware of the issues with the 6.0. About 10,000 miles ago I got a little wrench light on the dash so I took it to the dealer only to find out that the my EGR/Oil cooler needed to be replaced. Despite the low miles the truck was 2 months out of warranty and I was going to be stuck with a big bill. Since I had to foot the bill anyway I decided to do the EGR delete and replace the oil cooler myself with the help of a friend who is a fleet mechanic and diesel master tech.

Fast forward 10,000 miles on the new oil cooler, my temps are good. (I have an SCT monitor) Now I find out that the real culprit is the coolant and that I need to flush it out and change to the EC-1 rated coolant but I am afraid that doing so might plug up my new oil cooler.

So, finally on to my question. Is there a way to the coolant change without clogging up my new oil cooler? Since I deleted the EGR can I safely bypass the oil cooler during the flush? Should I install a coolant filter and run it for a while before changing?

Any advice for my specific situation would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Premium Member

The coolant was only the culprit if it got too hot in your system on a regular basis or you had hard water added to your system.

Since your cooler was plugged, the real issue is how bad is the rest of your system? I would suggest following the flush procedure but not use the cleaners.

Remove block plugs, both or 1. Flush
Drain rad - remove lower hose as well. Flush both
Flush till clear
Flush Heater (optional)
Close up
Fill with water - Run vehicle
Flush all again as above.
Flush again using distilled/demineralized.
Close up.
Add coolant concentrate 3.5 gal
Add distilled/demineralized water.

If you think your rad is corroded internally, replace it. This shouldn't be an issue unless you were using hard water in your system.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
The coolant was only the culprit if it got too hot in your system on a regular basis or you had hard water added to your system.

Since your cooler was plugged, the real issue is how bad is the rest of your system? I would suggest following the flush procedure but not use the cleaners.

Remove block plugs, both or 1. Flush
Drain rad - remove lower hose as well. Flush both
Flush till clear
Flush Heater (optional)
Close up
Fill with water - Run vehicle
Flush all again as above.
Flush again using distilled/demineralized.
Close up.
Add coolant concentrate 3.5 gal
Add distilled/demineralized water.

If you think your rad is corroded internally, replace it. This shouldn't be an issue unless you were using hard water in your system.
I agree as stated, it will take 24 gal of distilled water to get back to a ph of 7, use a concentrate elc with the catŠ ec-1 rating, and you should be fine. You need a monitor and a coolant filter asap.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
I agree as stated, it will take 24 gal of distilled water to get back to a ph of 7, use a concentrate elc with the catŠ ec-1 rating, and you should be fine. You need a monitor and a coolant filter asap.

I do have an SCT tuner with monitors that I can use to keep an eye on the temps which is how I know they are still in good shape. I just ordered the coolant filter kit which I will install later this week. I'm just concerned about flushing the cooling system, worried that it might clog up my new oil cooler?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFl 6.0 View Post
I do have an SCT tuner with monitors that I can use to keep an eye on the temps which is how I know they are still in good shape. I just ordered the coolant filter kit which I will install later this week. I'm just concerned about flushing the cooling system, worried that it might clog up my new oil cooler?
Without chemicals, it didn't make my deltas go up or down. If you are concerned, put the filter on and let it go.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

An argument could be made that anytime you remove coolant and add any liquid you can free up some debris that was stuck to the walls of the system. However, this flush should not create problems with debris since the primary flush is the shortest route out, taking residual out the holes, not knocking/peeling it off the walls for re-circulation. Also, this is the only way to clean out the old coolant and ensure you have the correct water for the new mix.

FWIW, if you have a kettle, look inside it. If you have any mineral build up on the element, you have hard water. If you do not get that out of the coolant system, you will cause problems for yourself down the road.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i am about ot under go this process this weekend, flush , egr delete, and coolant filter install.

the coolant i bought was cat ec-1 50/50, my question is .....i need 7 gals. or 3.5 and then distilled water ?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb99 View Post
i am about ot under go this process this weekend, flush , egr delete, and coolant filter install.

the coolant i bought was cat ec-1 50/50, my question is .....i need 7 gals. or 3.5 and then distilled water ?
As stated above, after you've finished the final flush with distilled and drained with pulling the lower radiator hose and at least one block plug, you will still have around 3.5 gal of distilled water in the motor that you cannot get out, you will need concentrate to get the correct mixture once full. If you use 50/50, it wil be diluted too much. After you are finished, you would use 50/50 if you ever need to top it off in the future.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well , thanks for the info. not what i wanted to hear, i guess i will return some 50/50 and hunt up some concentrate.

any ideas what to get or where to find it.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb99 View Post
well , thanks for the info. not what i wanted to hear, i guess i will return some 50/50 and hunt up some concentrate.

any ideas what to get or where to find it.
I used prestone because thats what my local carquest could order, any elc with the correct rating will work. Sometimes you have to ask them to order it, truck stops, and heavy truck dealers also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.