Which remote oil cooler? - Page 56 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #551  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 18
Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstrom View Post
This debate has been going on for a long time now and there is one REAL EASY way for it to go away. And that would be for IPR to just provide everyone with the specs on there product. Until they do i dont think it ever will. I personally dont understand why they are just standing buy while their company gets dragged through the mud. I can only assume two things either the info would hurt them or just dont care about what people on this site think or say about them. But a company is only as good as its reputation and they are allowing that to be determined/influenced by their refusal to stand up for their product.
I had a conversation with Vince last week and he will release the information when he is given the OK by his attorney. As said by others in the thread, the fact remains, no one with an IPR system has had any issue; in fact, we're all quite thrilled. Secondly, much of what is asked for has been provided; i.e. does the filter have a bypass, what is the filter part number, is the pressure reduced, etc.... Vince is bummed his system is getting drilled on here but his confidence lies in his R&D. He doesn't like being slandered on here but knows his kit will hold up to the scrutiny and is waiting for the "OK" to release the info.

I agree with the above comment, though (if it matters). As a member running Vince's system, I believe it should be the customer who calls out a manufacturer, not their competition. It has always been my belief that whoever you call will have the "best product" as it's their job to sell it to you. It's normally up to individuals running said products to evaluate the available products for their uses and give others the pros and cons. Just food for thought. All is information that very well SHOULD be provided by Vince. These things should be provided to me, Joe A, and other potential and existing customers, not BPD. The personal shots and bold-face accusations of shoddy engineering based on lack of info provided (not based on an existing customer with a blown engine which would at leas give you cause for the accusation) is uncalled for.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #552  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 4,246
Thanks: 21
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post

I agree with the above comment, though (if it matters). As a member running Vince's system, I believe it should be the customer who calls out a manufacturer, not their competition.
Potential customers DID call out the manufacturer, and Vince went into hiding.

Let's not forget that as a manufacturer, Vince was the first to call out the competition (on the IPR website). Please don't try to say that Vince wasn't referring to Bulletproof when discussing why the IPR oil cooler is "better" than an air to liquid heat exchanger. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows exactly who was being referred to.

Last edited by Snake; 12-26-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Quick reply to this message
  #553  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 18
Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Potential customers DID call out the manufacturer, and Vince went into hiding.

Let's not forget that as a manufacturer, Vince was the first to call out the competition (on the IPR website). Please don't try to say that Vince wasn't referring to Bulletproof when discussing the why the IPR oil cooler is "better" than an air to liquid heat exchanger. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows exactly who was being referred to.
Correct, he should not have said that either. Again, Vince will provide the info... in time. Not hiding, he's a tech, not an internet guy so he's stuck between lawyers and forums (a place he never thought he'd find himself when wrenching). No doubt he's not handling himself as he should either and my statement goes for all manufacturers, including IPR.
Quick reply to this message
  #554  
Old 12-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 4,246
Thanks: 21
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't disagree with you, and can appreciate your perspective. I sincerely hope you can understand where I, and the others, are coming from. I have nothing personal against Vince. However, I would like to know the capabilities and limitations of the IPR kit so I can at least provide an informed recommendation. It's no different when talking tires, shocks, lights, or any other aftermarket product. It wouldn't be well received if a tire manufacturer was asked about the load rating of one of their products and said, "a lot".........or if Rigid was asked how bright their 20" light bar was and they replied, "really, really bright."
Quick reply to this message
  #555  
Old 12-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Carrollton Ohio
Posts: 8,839
Thanks: 65
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Having been friends with Ken and Gene for several years, I know their integrity is unmatched in this business. They are honest and hard-working and yes, if there were issues with something that they manufacture or sell, you can bet your bottom dollar they would admit it and not only that, they would find a way to "make it right."

Back to the topic at hand: I have been running their kit for almost 3 years and 40k miles towing a 12k lb toy hauler in the Arizona desert heat. Since I went through 4 EGR coolers and 1 oil cooler in the first 100k miles (among MANY other failures), I am definitely putting my truck through its paces. This kit has done EXACTLY what they said it would do - it has allowed me to QUIT WORRYING about another oil/EGR cooler failure and enjoy my truck again. In addition, my oil quality has improved considerably since I also installed the bypass filter system. If you want the best, buy the BPD kit. If you want to gamble, feel free to do so since it's your money. But it's also an investment in your engine as well as your peace of mind. For me, that's a whole lot more difficult to quantify, but I don't have to worry about that, now do I?
Hey Shawn PM me if your interested in converting your oil bypass filter kit to run a Amsoil EaBP110 series filter that can filter down to 2 microns absolute at 98.77% efficiency as well as filter out up to 39% of soot from the oil. I don't want to muck this thread up with details so if you want info on it PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
I had a conversation with Vince last week and he will release the information when he is given the OK by his attorney.Not a call out on you at all so please don't take it that way, but I call BS on the whole waiting on the attorney thing. In the first 30 mins Ken had his hands on Vince's kit he was able to provide data that proved this kit isn't meeting OE specifications. Also Vince could be "waiting" on his patents to go through for 10 years, are we supposed to be waiting that long for him to release the information he has or is it just a cover up while he is trying to compile data now? As said by others in the thread, the fact remains, no one with an IPR system has had any issueYET.; in fact, we're all quite thrilled. Secondly, much of what is asked for has been provided; i.e. does the filter have a bypassAnd Ken already was able to provide information that proved the bypass built into the filter housing was rendered useless by the filter, see quote below., what is the filter part number, is the pressure reduced, etc.... Vince is bummed his system is getting drilled on here but his confidence lies in his R&D. He doesn't like being slandered on here but knows his kit will hold up to the scrutiny and is waiting for the "OK" to release the info.

I agree with the above comment, though (if it matters). As a member running Vince's system, I believe it should be the customer who calls out a manufacturer, not their competition. It has always been my belief that whoever you call will have the "best product" as it's their job to sell it to you. It's normally up to individuals running said products to evaluate the available products for their uses and give others the pros and cons. Just food for thought. All is information that very well SHOULD be provided by Vince. These things should be provided to me, Joe A, and other potential and existing customers, not BPD. The personal shots and bold-face accusations of shoddy engineering based on lack of info provided (not based on an existing customer with a blown engine which would at leas give you cause for the accusation) is uncalled for.
Again please don't take these as personal attacks on you or anyone for that matter, I simply want Vince to step up and tell the facts that he was able to find. Thank you for your help and your part in this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I don't disagree with you, and can appreciate your perspective. I sincerely hope you can understand where I, and the others, are coming from. I have nothing personal against Vince. However, I would like to know the capabilities and limitations of the IPR kit so I can at least provide an informed recommendation. It's no different when talking tires, shocks, lights, or any other aftermarket product. It wouldn't be well received if a tire manufacturer was asked about the load rating of one of their products and said, "a lot".........or if Rigid was asked how bright their 20" light bar was and they replied, "really, really bright."


Here is the quote from Ken that I was referencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFab67 View Post
Drama?

Hmmm... Then why would Vince go to all the trouble to move the OE oil temp sensor, not once, but twice??? Remember, it used to be in the oil filter cap before it was moved to the oil cooler... There has to be more to the story. I'll bet that when you really need your cooler to work that 4 degrees will turn into 30 real quick.

BTW I got an IPR kit today. The under cover manifold seems to be pretty neat. The rest of the kit...? Not very impressed. The bypass valve is set for ~16.75 psi to bypass both the cooler and the filter. That's not going to work well when you're hauling the mail and the oil is bypassing the cooler... Except that the oil filter itself covers the bypass valve almost entirely... So no oil will bypass when it's good and cold when you really need it... But once the oil warms up and thins out, it will probably bypass like crazy at 16.75 PSI. And if you install the filter upside down on accident... No bypass hot or cold. We've been over the filter. That's going to be a severe issue as well. If you don't screw the IPR oil cap all the way down so that it sandwiches the oil filter between the cap and the base, you might as well not even have a filter. The whole thing is a catch 22...

The hoses look fine.
The 6.4 cooler is rated the same as the 6.0 cooler (I believe since it's the same dimensions).
The hose routing pretty much shows that Vince doesn't have a clue about thermal efficiency.
The fact that he still sells a kit where the coolant for the cooler comes from the HEATER hose should be enough to convince anybody something is wrong with this picture...

I like the coolant filter a little. The filter assembly itself is impressive. Who makes it? Does anybody know? The adapter is kinda clunky.

There is no way Vince's oil cooler bracket would last 20 min in Baja... That thing would be broken off and down by the A/C compressor or on top of the battery having it's way with either or both at the same time. Bye Bye vacation.

Is this kit something anyone should buy? ABSOLUTELY! We all need to learn things the hard way sometimes.
Quick reply to this message
  #556  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 18
Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFab67 View Post
Drama?
There is no way Vince's oil cooler bracket would last 20 min in Baja... That thing would be broken off and down by the A/C compressor or on top of the battery having it's way with either or both at the same time. Bye Bye vacation.

Is this kit something anyone should buy? ABSOLUTELY! We all need to learn things the hard way sometimes.
Only part of your argument that I can contest the mounting is quite strong as it's 100% secure after a week of beating the piss out of my truck. It was a concern of mine as well but if I can be comfortable with the mounting... anyone can.

May be the least important part of your contention with the kit but hey, it's something worth noting.











Quick reply to this message
  #557  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 700
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
I had a conversation with Vince last week and he will release the information when he is given the OK by his attorney. He has already released/sold the kit to the public. There are no secrets to protect. I even ran this past our patent attorney and he just laughed... As said by others in the thread, the fact remains, no one with an IPR system has had any issue; in fact, we're all quite thrilled. Not the ones I've chatted with. Secondly, much of what is asked for has been provided; i.e. does the filter have a bypass, what is the filter part number, is the pressure reduced, etc.... Vince is bummed his system is getting drilled on here but his confidence lies in his R&D. Maybe he should have done his homework before he came on here proclaiming wrong facts about the flow of the oil cooler system??? He doesn't like being slandered actually it's called libel. Slander is more about the spoken word on here but knows his kit will hold up to the scrutiny and is waiting for the "OK" to release the info.

I agree with the above comment, though (if it matters). As a member running Vince's system, I believe it should be the customer who calls out a manufacturer, not their competition. Don't even go there. I didn't call him out. I just pointed out where he was lying or misinformed. It was the members of this forum who called him out. It has always been my belief that whoever you call will have the "best product" as it's their job to sell it to you. It's normally up to individuals running said products to evaluate the available products for their uses and give others the pros and cons. Just food for thought. All is information that very well SHOULD be provided by Vince. These things should be provided to me, Joe A, and other potential and existing customers, not BPD. The personal shots and bold-face accusations of shoddy engineering based on lack of info provided (not based on an existing customer with a blown engine which would at leas give you cause for the accusation) is uncalled for. That's like saying you should wait for a heart attack before you ever go see a doctor. Further, after having an IPR kit in my hand, I stand by my opinion that the IPR kit is junk engineering. I think people would be far better off going back to an OE oil cooler configuration than to install the IPR kit.
I'm only interested in the truth. Not Kool-aid induced feelings of how well something must work because so-n-so says so.

What I really love the most about this thread is how people will come on here and say that I'm wrong to post up criticism of Vince's kit. I've just posted facts and my opinions. These facts and opinions have yet to be refuted by anyone. Why is that?

Vince has no credibility with me. He lost it when he didn't understand or lied about the location of the OE oil temperature sensor location in the oil flow path. He had a chance to tell the truth. He either didn't know the truth or chose to lie about it.

It's as simple as that.
Quick reply to this message
  #558  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 700
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
Only part of your argument that I can contest the mounting is quite strong as it's 100% secure after a week of beating the piss out of my truck. It was a concern of mine as well but if I can be comfortable with the mounting... anyone can.

May be the least important part of your contention with the kit but hey, it's something worth noting.
It won't live. That much weight without support will break the metal that it's bolted too. I conceed that it could last longer than 20 min in Baja. But I truly doubt it would survive more than a few days. I wouldn't take a truck that had such a crucial component so attached to baja. I wouldn't take it out of town.
Quick reply to this message
  #559  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 18
Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFab67 View Post
I'm only interested in the truth. Not Kool-aid induced feelings of how well something must work because so-n-so says so.

What I really love the most about this thread is how people will come on here and say that I'm wrong to post up criticism of Vince's kit. I've just posted facts and my opinions. These facts and opinions have yet to be refuted by anyone. Why is that?

Vince has no credibility with me. He lost it when he didn't understand or lied about the location of the OE oil temperature sensor location in the oil flow path. He had a chance to tell the truth. He either didn't know the truth or chose to lie about it.

It's as simple as that.
If we're getting technical, online forums were deemed conversational and, as precedent serves from past rulings, harmful comments on forums (internet "bulletins") are slander previously considered libel. Libel is is ruled to letters, press releases, etc. I digress, pointing out he's "lying" is calling him out... That's like saying I didn't trip him, i stuck my foot out and he fell over it. Lastly, my comment about you taking personal shots at Vince is in no way compared to the severity of skipping the doctor and waiting for a heart attack. Call it what you will, you seem to be happy making every battle a personal one. Put the facts up that the IPR kit is "Junk engineering" ensure Vince doesn't sell another system to an unsuspecting 6.0 owner and rest easy. Taking personal shots at Vince doesn't make me lose an ounce of sleep, i just don't think it's the way to handle it and it seems people in this thread agree. Call it what you will; you may have chatted with 1,000 people running an IPR system who are unhappy with it but, like Vince's statements, you've yet to back that up with anyone coming forward. As stated, everyone in here with an IPR system is happy with their kit assuming i haven't missed something on one of these 500 replies.

Last edited by OCVeloMan; 12-26-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Quick reply to this message
  #560  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 18
Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFab67 View Post
It won't live. That much weight without support will break the metal that it's bolted too. I conceed that it could last longer than 20 min in Baja. But I truly doubt it would survive more than a few days. I wouldn't take a truck that had such a crucial component so attached to baja. I wouldn't take it out of town.
That is your prerogative and truthfully, I said the same thing when I saw it. I decided to give it a shot and after several poundings, the bracket remains strong as ever. Trust me, I am not bias to anyone. If my motor was destroyed by the IPR kit, everyone here would know about it as I paid good money like everyone else. The above was a point of concern but has yet to fail, even under severe duty.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors