Looking to buy a PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to buy a PSD

Hello all - newbie here.

Long story short, I currently have an '03 F150 5.4L V8 4x4 with 118,XXX miles running on hopes and dreams - recently suffered from the typical Ejecto Plug mod.

Been checking out a few 7.3's and some 6.0's as of late. The idea of a diesel has been festering as of late since I can squeeze some excellent milage out of them and just the sheer power of one when you drop the hammer. I'd prefer to stay if the Ford Truck family. I've owned 2 Exploders and my current F150 is my second - I previously had a '97 long bed that was claimed too soon. However the gas motors leave something to be desired in terms of economy and power - my 5.4 is just a dog when it comes to power. It can't brake a tire loose unless I'm coming off a corner. My most recent tank of fuel netted me ~9MPG. Absouletly horrible for a truck that's daily driven 95%

The 6.0 has more appeal - 7.3 is a really big motor and is over kill for me. And yes before you ask I've been doing my homework. I know of the TTY bolts, EGR and oil coolers, coolant and other issues that plague the 6.0. I'm looking to stay simple on this truck - exhaust, intake, and mild tuning. I know these motors can be (and can be made) reliable. Hell some people luck out and get one with no problems.

So first question - If I were to wind up with a 6.0 instead of a 7.3 would one of these two kits work to fix most of the issues? Mainly the stretched TTY bolts and head gaskets? I don't see much difference between the two except for about $100.

Ford 6.0L Powerstroke Complete Solution With Upgraded Cooler

Or

Ford 6.0L Powerstroke Complete Solution With Upgraded Cooler

And secondly I've spotted this truck nearby to me. I've been put a little off though - I can see from the photos it has a "CAI" and an Edge tuner on the dash. Should I be leary of this truck?

LINK: http://maplecrestford.com/Mendham-NJ...ruck/14189320/

_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The reason the first kit is more is because it uses OEM head gaskets which are better IMO and most others will agree with me. I can't get the pics to work on my phone of the truck but the Edge could just be an Insight which are for gauges only. Depends on what brand CAI is being used but that factory intake on a 6.0 is better than most if not all intakes unless you are going for huge power.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I live in jersey as well and have seen tons of trucks posted by this dealer. In my opinion i feel they are always overpriced and not in the best condition but then again I am very picky with my vehicles and they must be clean, spotless, and free of any damage dings or dents. I would try and work down the price if you end up going with this particular truck, but i gotta say it is my favorite color LOL my buddy had a 05 CCSB FX4 in this color and it looked sick. As far as the edge is concerned a lot of guys on here will tell you their aren't the best programmers since they only tune your engine and not your transmission as a good tuner will do. I would get any of the SCT programmers and use one of the reputable tuners like Quicktricks auto, Innovative diesel, gearhead performance ETC. The difference in the tow kits is the more expensive one has the Ford OEM gaskets which are actually better than the black onyx gaskets that the opposing package has. The Ford OEM gaskets are better than the black onyx so, yes, definitely get the more expensive package. Where exactly in jersey are you?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
The reason the first kit is more is because it uses OEM head gaskets which are better IMO and most others will agree with me. I can't get the pics to work on my phone of the truck but the Edge could just be an Insight which are for gauges only. Depends on what brand CAI is being used but that factory intake on a 6.0 is better than most if not all intakes unless you are going for huge power.
Agreed, also the original intakes is good up to 500hp so you would be fine with a stocker
Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Can't tell the brand of the CAI. It's just a giant open element cone filter sans heat shield. The Edge looks like an old Evolution one. Looks just like my PHP Gryphon (rebranded Edge Evo) in my current F150 except its silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider284 View Post
I live in jersey as well and have seen tons of trucks posted by this dealer. In my opinion i feel they are always overpriced and not in the best condition but then again I am very picky with my vehicles and they must be clean, spotless, and free of any damage dings or dents. I would try and work down the price if you end up going with this particular truck, but i gotta say it is my favorite color LOL my buddy had a 05 CCSB FX4 in this color and it looked sick. As far as the edge is concerned a lot of guys on here will tell you their aren't the best programmers since they only tune your engine and not your transmission as a good tuner will do. I would get any of the SCT programmers and use one of the reputable tuners like Quicktricks auto, Innovative diesel, gearhead performance ETC. The difference in the tow kits is the more expensive one has the Ford OEM gaskets which are actually better than the black onyx gaskets that the opposing package has. The Ford OEM gaskets are better than the black onyx so, yes, definitely get the more expensive package. Where exactly in jersey are you?
I have it in my head to get a blue truck this time and I don't know why. Usually I'm not to concerned about he color - I just avoid gold, blah white, purple/pink/baby blue, and any BRIGHT colors like yellow and fire truck red.

As for the Edge I have a PHP Gryphon now on my F150. Much better product as the guy who puts them out will write you a tune custom tailored to every aspect of your truck. I just never did that as I got lazy - Ran the canned trans tune a few times and used it mainly as another gauge in my pod.

I'm in Oak Ridge - Paramus isn't too far away. Down 23 to 287, all the way up 287 to 17, then across 17 to Paramus. Went to school in Mahwah, and my second job has a branch right by Ikea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider284 View Post
Agreed, also the original intakes is good up to 500hp so you would be fine with a stocker
Yea no. Simple mods - gonna be the daily driver with rare towing duties and probably frequent "haha stupid ricer come get me." moments.

_
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM

So I decided to run the carfax on this truck - came back with a lot of good points. I'm going to try and check it out tomorrow after work pending the snow isn't horrible. See if I can get an Oasis pulled for it as well or does the Carfax reflect the same stuff?

One owner truck registered as a commercial vehicle

First big record recording came in at 81K - A local Mercury/Lincoln dealer gave it a once over. Brakes, drivability, fluids, etc.

at 82K the same Merc dealer mounted and balanced 4 new tires

89K a Kia dealer replaced the brake calipers

98K same Kia dealer (once again ) gave it an alignment and flushed/changed the brake fluid and flushed/changed the power steering fluid.

Maplecrest took ownership recently gave it a once over and changed the oil. and now it's on the lot for sale.

_
Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Go to any ford dealer with the vin and they will give you a free oasis...or post on here and someone that has the ability will get you one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.