DIY Coolant filter done - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY Coolant filter done

I gathered enough info from here to put together my filter setup. I used old filter base from my previous truck, the only issue was that it is a fuel filter base, but I found a wix filter without water separation and is good to 10 microns. I had everything for the install but the pex T's and filter so I am into it about 20 dollars. The bracket I made from some metal I had laying around, im not a welder so it was a hammer it in the vice and cutoff wheel kind of deal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Happen to have dimensions on the bracket?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:47 PM

I can snap some pics with a tape as reference tomorrow when its light. The only thing I can remember was the part where it bolts to the alternator is 1" x 4" There is plenty of room where its mounted that I wasnt real technical about it. IF I remember right it was approx 12" from the back bolt to the filtert base
Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

I don't know about fuel filters, but it's common knowledge that oil filters put a goo into the cooling system. I think it would behoove you to make sure a fuel filter won't similarly break down when used as a coolant filter.

I started to do a DIY filter, but oil filters have different threads than coolant filters.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM

I went ahead with the fuel filter since I have seen a quite a few diy setups with small fuel filters. I am not 100% that it leaves no trace, but I assumed with the touchy nature of diesel injection systems that it would not. I will be checking it out though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.