Hard hot start/black smoke/miss at idle/no codes...HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Truck finally died... still no codes dealer says HPOP failure.

I had another thread started but more issues have come up and are now consistant.

Truck specs: 03 6.0L ZF6 4x4 100K, blue spring, 4in DP back,

All my temps are spot on high 180s to low 190s never more then 5* apart during around town driving and highway speeds empty. FICM reads 47.5-48.5 at all times and batt voltage is 13.7-14.5 at all times, on start up its drops to 10.9 then back up to normal.

Issues: When the truck is cold starts fine and runs normal.

Once up to operating temp the truck is smoking black out the tailpipe at little accleration, and when i come to a stop the truck have what seems like a missfire/double fireing injector.

When driving down the road the injectors make a funny sound between gear shifts(i have a manual) When i push the clutch in and let off the throttle the engine RPMs dont come down right away like normal they seem to "race up" and gain about 100 RPM. I have been shifting the same since i bought the truck. and if i just let off the throttle the truck seems to keep on pulling for a few seconds before the injectors quiet down.

If i shut the truck off and try to start it when its hot it will crank like normal but sounds like its starving for fuel and does not come right up to idle speed(see vid below).

My EGT's are normal but the truck feels like its starting to lose power. Milage is down.

I have ICP voltage and ICP/HPOP pressure on my scangague and my ICP/HPOP pressure seems a bit off. At idle the gauge reads 640-660 for pressrue and the ICP voltage reads .8-.9.

But when i start to drive down the road both are out of spec. the ICP voltage never goes above 2.3 and the ICP/HPOP never goes above 1300 and it drops to about 900 when i roll into the throttle.

I have no codes on my scangauge that its picking up and i have no lights on the dash. I changed fuel filters last night and saw no change from them.

Cold start vid:

Hot start vid:

Fuel Filters:

Hot idle vid:

Im at a complete loss here boys. Im leaning toward a bad ICP sensor and a couple bad injectors, but im not 100% I think my worst thoughts would be a failing HPOP..

Last edited by 03XL6.0; 11-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 PM

Vids didn't work....
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!

This kindA sounds like what happened to my stang. The crank position sensor wire had gotten rubbed bare and when truck was cold it was fine but when it got hot it would start to arc and the rpms would go crazy. Maybe check for some wires. Around the engine.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Anyone got any ideas I've been searching for hours with little luck...

Update: Fixed all the vids and got all of them loaded up.

Last edited by 03XL6.0; 11-24-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:07 AM

bump for the morning
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have ICP voltage and ICP/HPOP pressure on my scangague and my ICP/HPOP pressure seems a bit off. At idle the gauge reads 640-660 for pressrue and the ICP voltage reads .8-.9.

But when i start to drive down the road both are out of spec. the ICP voltage never goes above 2.3 and the ICP/HPOP never goes above 1300 and it drops to about 900 when i roll into the throttle.
Here is an suggestion in a post by m-chan68.
No start. Done IPR ICP. Tried pressure test?

ICP bad, maybe, but it sounds like your HPOP. Unfortunately, you're going to have to do some work to find the cause.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 11-25-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: some
Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM

I'll do some searching after work tomorrow. Would it be a bad idea to continue driving the truck?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM

Welp it finally died. I was trying to limp the truck to the Ford dealer on the other side of town and i made it about 1.5 miles from my house and the truck died. HPOP pressure dropped to 78psi and the truck truck died. The gauge on the dash still read pressure so the lpop is still good.

Got it towed in to the dealer and they called about an hour later and said that the HPOP is most likley shot. They will know more once they get the turbo off and can pressure check everything.

Quoted me at just under 2k for the job of just the HPOP. I went in and talked to the tech personally and told him i wanted any and all updated parts put on that can be reached while he is in there. I am also having the oil cooler replaced and a coolant flush done and a new therostat put in so the final bill will be higher but they dont have a final cost yet.

Truck still had no codes even after it died. Not sure if the injectors were hurt or not but ill know more by tues evening.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
HPOP's are pretty common on the 03's. I have one sitting in my driveway right now that I'm getting parts for tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Yeah i read that wish i would have known the signs a little more before. I could have done the work myself but im on overtime right now and i have zero time or shape to work on the truck.

Anything else i should have replaced while they are in there? I would have studs done but i just cant swing it right now or I would have them done as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.