My ball joint replacement experience that can help you (2005) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My ball joint replacement experience that can help you (2005)

Well after reading up on all the ball joint DIY's, I went to lowes and made the "hub seal driver." After many hours fighting with snap rings (NOTE: You will need thin snap ring pliers to fit between the hub and the axle shaft. I had to buy new snap ring pliers because of this.) and frozen/rusted parts, I was able to get the new Moog joints in and start reassembly. Unfortunately, the "special tool" that I had made only fits 99-04. The 05-07 shafts are much bigger. After many stops to different stores I finally went to Home Depot. They were the only ones that I found that carry 2" pipe. I got an 8" section of 2" pipe, a floor plate for 2" pipe, and a 2" pipe cap. With this tool made, I easily drove the seal onto the axle shaft. I also created a driver made out of pvc that would support both the inner and outer parts of the hub seal. It took a heck of a lot longer than I ever thought to get it done but I'm glad that it is over with. One last thing, but there are new "revised" dust seals that are metal and rubber. I swore they gave me the wrong part but after some explanation I can tell you that these dust seals are a MUCH better design. Anyways I hope this helps anyone attempting ball joints on an 05-07.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
BRS-170 is the motorcraft number for the new axle tube seals. I agree that they are a much better design
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

there isn't a lot of info for the 05 up variables

I was able to figure out the 2" pipe /floor plate and cap before I did mine

however I had to turn the floor plate down a little ( a grinder will suffice just like you need to do on the 05- with the 1.5 fittings) and I did notice if you thread the pipe all the way into the floor plate the inner diameter of the pipe will interfere with the OD of the Axle stub shaft so leave it un threaded a little or ream out the pipe

the only downside to the new dust seal is it will hide a leaky inner axle seal

Oh I now have more snap ring pliers than anyone I know I finally got a set from Grainger that worked ,, the interchangeable ones were to fat and some were to wimpy

luckily I wasn't under the gun to find a set that would work since I was just doing a vacuum seal

Last edited by ZMANN; 11-24-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought the 05 up seal tool on amazon for 58bucks. I was looking to make it but non of the hardware stores around here carried the 2" floor mount plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.