Rear end issues, thoughts? Hub seals, E brakes, etc. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear end issues, thoughts? Hub seals, E brakes, etc.

So I replaced my axle seals awhile ago at my friends shop back home and we noticed the E brake shoes and setup were literlly rusted through and not working, so we removed them, called around and best we found was like 350 from a local dealer. We said forget that and just put everything back together with leaving the E brakes off, and just the backing plate. We also installed new pads, rotors, and flushed the whole brake fluid system.

Anyways, about 4 weeks later I noticed axle grease and diff fluid coming out of the hubs(inside of the wheels) and didn't really pay that much attention to it simply because I figured it was just pushing new synthetic fluid out and leveling the fluid levels etc. And for the record I know that was stupid, but it was late summer/fall I was racing every other weekend and at races every weekend I wasn't racing.

Fast forward to last weekend, I swapped my wheels for my winter wheels/tires and noticed the fluid coming out was much worse, as in seeping down the wheel/tire and puddling. Hadn't been that bad before, but now was, on any trip that warmed the rear pumpkin and axle up etc. So I called a local mechanic down here and just asked him to swap the hub seals and fill the fluids etc as I don't have time to do it nor a garage.

He just called me and basically told me the ebrake backing plates are toast and he can get replacements and Ebrake parts for like 250 total, I priced Rock Auto, they are more like 100 for everything from them, so I said wait on that as Christmas is right around the corner and I've never used Ebrakes on the truck once in my life, and apparently neither did the previous owner.

Then he goes on to tell me that the rear pads took in a lot of the axle grease and rear diff fluid and he'd like me to change them, which I was fine with, of course they were brand new but whatever, the rotors he was cleaning and said would be fine. He then said when he was cleaning the stuff up, he saw a good amount of rust at the end of the axle tube and was going to clean that up, but wasn't sure how good the contact really was or sealing, but would do the best he can. He also told me that there was still some suction it appeared when he was pulling the hubs, even though I just cleaned the vent tube and vent nipple, so he would have to pull that and clean it, possibly replacing it. Of course this is a nipple that is a T connector for the rear brake lines too, so those will need bled/refilled as well.

All in all, the job was going to be several hundred dollars more than what I had been told, which is fine, except for the fact that after this I will have dropped like 2,000 on this truck in the past 5 months and things simply keep compiling.

It only has 133K on it, has had some body repairs, etc. but I am just getting to the point that I am wondering if trading it in would be a better option at this point. I asked earlier this year and got mixed reviews, but this was prior to all of these new things going wrong.

I had some big expenses this month after just getting married and definitely do not have the extra funds to keep spending in repairs at this point. So I am a little worn out on dropping 500-1000 every couple months on things.

What's everyones opinions out there now with this thing? I have the following "mods" and it runs fine over all, but the repairs are adding up fast. EGR delete, tunes, gauges, 4.5lift (just spend 800 on new shocks and steering stabilizer), 2 sets of 35's on different wheels, and then just normal stuff, tint, cover, liner, 2 drop hitches, new batteries, running T6, 134K miles, 3100 hours, etc.

The engine feels fine, but like I said, is this just the beginning??

I've found several 6.4's locally that are the color's I'd like, and options(if not more), but my payment would go up about 150 a month for 100K less miles on the truck. I do know the 6.4's make the most power of the PS with the simplist of add ons, CAI, Exhaust, Tuner = good power. So I am wondering if I should cut loose after these repairs and trade it/sell it. It will also need some bodywork on some bubbling on the bedside next year too I'd assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.