Coolant filter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant filter?

It looks like my oil cooler is plugged! EOT delta's high! I am thinking I am going to put a filter on. I did some reading and found where some with filters had delta's going up and changed or cleaned there coolant filter's and temps came down.
Question is can a filter lower my delta's or will a flush and filter solve my problem?
Or is a new oil cooler and a filter the only way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Once the oil cooler is clogged, it's impossible to unclog it. Start prepping for a oil cooler replacement, and add a coolant filter while your at it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

It is highly unlikely, but it may be worth a try in the short-term. If Ford recommends a new cooler when the delta is >15*, there is a good reason for it. Think about it this way, if your cooler is plugged or partially plugged, do you want to back-flush that debris to other parts of your coolant system? No, you would remove the part and try to clean it separately. But you have now way of knowing how well you did because you can not see inside the cooler. Change it now, before it causes a bigger problem. However, the pre-flush and filter is a good start!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:57 PM

I guess that was my first thought. I wish I had the CTS prior to the flush when I bought the truck. It would have been interesting to know if it was plugged then or if the flush loosened up a bunch of crap.
Hope warranty will cover it! Find out Monday.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kviper View Post
It looks like my oil cooler is plugged! EOT delta's high! I am thinking I am going to put a filter on. I did some reading and found where some with filters had delta's going up and changed or cleaned there coolant filter's and temps came down.
Question is can a filter lower my delta's or will a flush and filter solve my problem?
Or is a new oil cooler and a filter the only way?
What you are referring to is people who have the ipr filter and oil cooler relocation kit, when their ipr filter clogs, they can clean it and the deltas return to normal. Your deltas are likely irreversible, join the club. But by all means you should install a coolant filter regardless, get it filtering now if you can before you install another oil cooler.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
What you are referring to is people who have the ipr filter and oil cooler relocation kit, when their ipr filter clogs, they can clean it and the deltas return to normal. Your deltas are likely irreversible, join the club. But by all means you should install a coolant filter regardless, get it filtering now if you can before you install another oil cooler.

Ok, makes sense. I think I will go with the Sinister, looks simple and reasonably priced. I think I will order one tomorrow, probably get here well before I get an answer from warranty and get an oil cooler installed. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:33 PM
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!

I've got deltas at 10-12. I'm looking at doing egr delete and OEM oil cooler soon. How should I got about it.
Flush
Filter
Replace or

Filter
Flush then replace.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Jackson, there is no reason to swap out your oil cooler; you don't have a problem and it may not get worse for a long time, if ever! But if you really want to do it, Filter, Flush, Filter, Check deltas, Happy or Replace.

If you flush the rad, then the block - both sides using the engine on method you can clear out a lot of crap before flushing with the chemicals.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Filter now, just watch it. Ipr is the best on the market. I dont recommend a chemical flush, if you don't have goo, or rust. If the time comes to replace the oil cooler, tap water, distilled water, elc. Then replace the oil cooler.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Note to adding a coolant filter... Use distilled water instead of regular water from a hose. I'm about to add a coolant filter to mine & it was recommended to use distilled water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.