6.0 Towing without Tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Towing without Tunes

I just bought a 2005 F-250 Crew short bed Lariat. I love the truck but I bought it planning on putting a few grand into it (EGR, Studs, Oil cooler Livewire etc) which would make it reliable and give it as much power as the brand new trucks. I didnt realize until reading now that you shouldnt tow with the tunes. Kind of defeats the purpose since I dont plan on racing Honda's..... Im thinking I should have put that money toward a newer truck with the 6.4 since it comes with more power stock and just leave it alone.

Did I make a dumb move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just tow with a good tow tune.

If you tow over 8k on a stock tune you'll be wanting to stop at every dealership on the road for a new truck. Unacceptably poor stock towing power at best, my truck worked hard pulling about 6k on an open deck trailer in the hills. 3.73 is fine on little 31.5" tires but not enough gear for even the oem 34s on the 20" wheels.

Apparently dp tuners has great tow tunes for the 6.0 and comes with a monitor so you don't need to buy a cts and sct x3.

Jason
Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A good custom tow tune will have make that truck pull like a dream. I have a custom tow file from Innovative and have towed 18k with no problem.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
A good custom tow tune will have make that truck pull like a dream. I have a custom tow file from Innovative and have towed 18k with no problem.

I hope so. I am planning on the new Livewire TS. I will have to add a tow tune and hope for the best. Probably will wait on the exhaust since I am dumping all this money into it right now. I towed my 6k trailer (and two quads in the truck) last week and it was alot nicer than my F-150 but not quiet as mind blowing as I expected. My dad has a 99 with a 7.3 with all the goodies and it deffinatly pulls alot harder.

Within the next few years Id like to be able to upgrade to something around 10k+ lbs without worrying about maintaining 60 on the pass.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had a 32' gooseneck behind me with an 06 F-250 on it and could gain speed up hill if I wanted. Figured it weighed between 11-12k total.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
I just bought a 2005 F-250 Crew short bed Lariat. I love the truck but I bought it planning on putting a few grand into it (EGR, Studs, Oil cooler Livewire etc) which would make it reliable and give it as much power as the brand new trucks. I didnt realize until reading now that you shouldnt tow with the tunes. Kind of defeats the purpose since I dont plan on racing Honda's..... Im thinking I should have put that money toward a newer truck with the 6.4 since it comes with more power stock and just leave it alone.

Did I make a dumb move?
You didn't make a dumb move because if you got a 6.4, you would have to delete the DPF and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need a tuner for that.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:39 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get a custom tow tune and you will be set. I'm same as you, no drag strips or Honda bets. My truck has only ever had tow tunes loaded. Never seen a performance tune. If I want performance ill take my cts-v out. The superduty is for haulin toys.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:39 AM

Yep, totally agreeing with what they all said already. I made the mistake of towing to Indy 3 bikes, and only a 8x14 enclosed box trailer, all our gear, etc. At most it was 8,000lbs because the trailer was setup for landscaping with extra flooring and frame work. Got 8mpg, I then took the SAME exact setup, as in same bikes, same gear to FL and got over 12mpg with my tow tune. I also am lifted and was running 35s, but the tow tune is like night and day.

I towed my TH the other day home from KY with the tow tune, in the mtns, highway, little towns, whatever, 11.5mpg unloaded with the tow tune.

I will say I do not think I got the best tunes out there and am considering paying for new tunes this season. Most I got pulling my TT was 11.5mpg ever with tow tunes. I love my street tunes but if I am lucky I get like 14.5mpg, so I am thinking there are better tune options out there for me.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 AM

I just looked again and it looks like It would still have cost me alot more to get a 6.4 than I will have into mine when I am done, especially if I paid to have things done to the 6.4.... Is there a noticable power difference when adding an exhaust or does it just let you push it harder without raising the EGT as much?

Still learning alot, first Diesel and first post to this forum. Thanks for all the answers!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Exhaust just drops EGT's, doesnt really add power at towing safe power levels. Some do sound good though. If you want to be able to tow and hear yourself think, Silverline or Banks or buy a cheap 5" straight piped setup and put in a big ol Donaldson muffler.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.