Need help "turbo fart" issue!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help "turbo fart" issue!!!!

Well I had an issue with the heater and replaced the thermostat and al hell broke lose!!!

Right after I replaced the thermostat I started to lose alot of power and discovered that there was a hole in the hose on turbo on the high pressure side. 4 inch hose = $90, took five seconds to replace but now I have an issue with the turbo farting if I WOT it. The truck is fine off the line but will start to blow black smoke(which it never has before) and then at around 30 mph into the WOT it will start to stutter and lose power while turbo farting the whole time.

I had to drive it for a while with the hole in the hose could this be a reprogramming issue?

2004 ford f250 with 120k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Did you knock the rubber hose loose that connects to the top of the intake on the passenger side? It runs from the MAP sensor to a nipple sticking out of intake.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM

I took a look at the MAP sensor and there was some wires to it but no line that would have a nipple. Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing but it is connected to the intake manifold at the front of the engine bay and under the radiator shroud kind-of.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Mod Newbie

I'm talking about the intake manifold and not the air intake. The hose I'm talking about is just behind where the intercooler tube is that you fixed. It should run from there up to a sensor that is mounted on the heater box with a "triangle" shaped mounting bracket.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Sorry, now I know what you were talking about, I didnt think that was the MAP. You were correct it would have been in the area I was working in to perhaps dislodge it. Unfortunately, I checked and it was nice and tight with no leaks.

Keep the diagnostics coming, I am despearte I am moving my family on Friday and was planning on hauling a trailer to make that move. So ANY suggestions would be great.

Thanks again dhanna for your help so far.

Dusty
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Mod Newbie

You have any way to monitor sensors? Check to make sure Mass Air Flow sensor is connected. It is kn between the air intake and intake side of turbo. Should be a rectangle piece and usually the wiring harness is clipped to oil dip stick.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 PM

I will do that fist thing tomorrow, I have been searching the forum and think I have found the issue, the turbo vanes are stuck. Is there a way to test this?

Ok, here is my reasoning.........the boot (rubber hose slight bend and about 4 inches long) off the turbo supplying air to the intercooler was cracked and I was losing a ton of boost. I ended up driving this way for about two days while looking for someone who had the part which is $90 at my local stealership. With this being said I believe the vanes were being pushed to their limit as to were they normally travel in the unison ring, this might cause them to reach an area on the turbo that would cause them to bind and would cause all the issues I have been having, ie. good at low end but starts to fart and smoke the higher the RPM's. Does this logic seem viable to anyone else?

Is there anyway to get them to move again, I dont think it would happen again if I could just get it to move this one time.

How long am I looking at to take the turbo off and give it a good cleaning? Yes, I know this can vary alot but what has been your (anyones) experience?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Mod Newbie

It's not a bad job to pull turbo. I can have one out and on the ground in 20 minutes. Does your truck still have the EGR valve?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
sounds like either the turbo is stuck or the egr valve is weak internally. Both will do the same thing, cause the valve to blow back open when boost pressure becomes too high.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
sounds like either the turbo is stuck or the egr valve is weak internally. Both will do the same thing, cause the valve to blow back open when boost pressure becomes too high.
Shouldnt or wouldnt those things throw a code. I am wondering if that is what my problem is too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.