How long is a water separator good for you ask? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long is a water separator good for you ask?

At least 2 years if you go by my truck......Oh wait...what am I talking about!? We found a Napa filter in there....not a water separator. And they replaced the oil filter with a NAPA set up. Just the start of the good news. Got a nice leak on the harmonic balancer and the exhaust manifolds are both needing gaskets. The fan shroud is broken on the bottom and rubbing the balancer as well This is all ontop of replacing the FICM,Battery and alternator. Good thing the dealer I purchased it from went through the truck and made sure it was good to go. I have a list of what needs to be done,it's a long list. People are not going to be happy when I walk into that dealership Monday. The sh*t is going to hit the fan.

On a positive note I am shocked that I can actually feel and hear a difference in how the truck runs with the correct fresh filters and fresh Rotella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 PM

P.S.....If you are new to diesels as I am don't rely on the dealer to go through the truck, even if the owner is(now was) a friend. Nothing like being lied to to make your day.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM

make sure you have an OEM oil filter cap
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM

It does ....NOW.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM

I cant even believe the difference in T6 and Archoil vs. Dino oil. I mean I knew it would like it, I didn't know it would like it this much.

Of course then after doing my axle seals 2 mos ago, my hub seals went out after that. So looks like another 200-250 for those to be replaced tomorrow. Cleaned out the vent tub, and broke a 15mm open end trying to remove the nipple into the axle tube, sprayed with some PB blaster and let soak, trying an impact socket on it tonight, or just running something through it to make sure its not jsut clogged..... Would love to save 250 right before the holidays.

Glad to hear you went over the truck yourself, and yes, I never take mine to a dealer anymore, do it myself, or get a shady tree mech.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 PM

After what it took to get the fuel filter housing off on the frame I will be doing exact maintenance schedules.We pulled the filter out and it was black...can't imagine that was good for fuel pressure.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sorry to hear that, bro. As you know, these trucks need their maintenance and it's a noticeable improvement when they are well cared for. Best of luck and let us know what they say at the dealership.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Sorry to hear that, bro. As you know, these trucks need their maintenance and it's a noticeable improvement when they are well cared for. Best of luck and let us know what they say at the dealership.
I actually went in this morning. I was going to wait but I need to drive to Ohio for Thanksgiving and right now I honestly don't trust the truck. Felt an injector miss this morning and that was the last straw. I know deep down all the issues with the Injector/s ,alternator,FICM are related to the battery with 2 dead cells that I found when I picked it up. Something that should have been dealt with before the truck was delivered, just like everything else should have been dealt with before the truck was delivered. I don't mind maintenance, just give me a truck I can maintain. I paid top dollar for an extremely clean and rust free truck(rarity here).....I expect it to run properly.
Anyway...I am dropping it off at noon. I told them I don't want it back till it's right. I am taking a rental to Ohio and enjoying the holiday. I wonder if I should tell them the hydroboost is leaking in the cab or see if they find it on their own
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 AM

i went through all of this about a year and a half ago, not even worth the trouble going to the dealer and raising hell, cause the dealers dont give a S&%T ! Just go through the truck, make a list and start replacing parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secondC View Post
I actually went in this morning. I was going to wait but I need to drive to Ohio for Thanksgiving and right now I honestly don't trust the truck. Felt an injector miss this morning and that was the last straw. I know deep down all the issues with the Injector/s ,alternator,FICM are related to the battery with 2 dead cells that I found when I picked it up. Something that should have been dealt with before the truck was delivered, just like everything else should have been dealt with before the truck was delivered. I don't mind maintenance, just give me a truck I can maintain. I paid top dollar for an extremely clean and rust free truck(rarity here).....I expect it to run properly.
Anyway...I am dropping it off at noon. I told them I don't want it back till it's right. I am taking a rental to Ohio and enjoying the holiday. I wonder if I should tell them the hydroboost is leaking in the cab or see if they find it on their own
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 AM

Yep, been there too, bought a truck with 5 of 8 injectors being toast, had no idea, first diesel and never drove one. Dealer told me it was just becasue it was cold and nasty out, so I figured just wasn't warm.

Thank goodness Ford replaced them under their 100K warranty, I was at like 98500. It was almost major suck and I most likely would have just traded it before I made a payment on it and ate my $$

Sorry to hear the bad luck, but sounds like the filter was definitely a major cause of some of the other issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.