p0263 injector? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
p0263 injector?

okay so the other day i used my truck(2003 f350) all day for towing it ran 100% no problems at all parked it overnight then yesterday started it up drove it to walmart to get rotella t6 for an oil change it ran great again. when i got home i changed the oil and fuel filters i started it up let it idle for a little bit and after about 2 min idling it starting missing/loping a little bit so i drove it around the block to see if it would stop doing it which it progressivly got better and stopped doing it so i got home and read the codes and it read p0263 cylinder #1 contribution/balance. i cleared the code and this morning i went to start it and it ran completely normal and the code didnt come back. is it possible it could have been an air bubble in the HP oil system from the oil change or do you guys think its an injector?? any advice i would really appreciate thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

It shouldn't start missing after an oil change. However, other problems do seem to show up at this time. If it the problem stays away, you are probably OK; just be ready for the potential injector failure as this may have been the first warning.

Ford 6.0L Cylinder Contribution or Misfire Fault – DTC Diagnostics

This article applies to Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC): P0263, P0266, P0269, P0272, P0275, P0278, P0281, P0284 and P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, Po306, P0307, P0308 for the Ford 6.0L Powerstroke.

These diagnostic codes indicate that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected that one or more cylinders are misfiring and non-contributing. The PCM continually monitors all cylinders for proper operation. If it detects a cylinder is misfiring or not contributing it will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) to indicate the misfire and identify the cylinder in question. See the Ford 6.0L Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to identify the specific cylinder. It is possible that these DTCs are cause by an engine mechanical problem.

Possible causes for any of these codes include:

Low cylinder compression

Low compression in one or more cylinders can result in cylinder contribution or misfire Diagnostic Trouble Codes. A compression test should be performed to determine if this is the cause of the DTC. Possible causes for low compression include:

Broken compression rings.
Leaking or bent intake or exhaust valves.
Bent push rod(s).
Broken rocker arms or retaining bolts.
Bent connecting rod.
Cylinder head gasket failure.

Low Fuel Pressure or Poor Fuel Quality

Low fuel pressure or poor fuel quality can result in cylinder misfire. You should suspect this if you have received multiple cylinder misfire codes. A fuel pressure test should be performed to determine if the fuel pressure is adequate (40-80 psi). A fuel sample should be obtained and checked for contamination and or water. Possible causes of low fuel pressure include:

Restricted fuel filter.
Defective fuel pump.
Defective fuel pressure regulator.
Fuel contamination (water, dirt)

Improper Injection Control Pressure (ICP) / Oil Aeration

Proper Injection Control Pressure is critical for the proper operation of the 6.0L Powerstroke injection system. Poor oil quality or oil aeration can result in an engine misfire because the injectors are hydraulically controlled. Causes of oil aeration include:

Extended oil change intervals resulting in depletion of anti-foaming additives in oil.
Air present in hydraulic system as a result of recent engine or high pressure oil system repair.
Wrong type or grade of engine oil.
Oil contaminated with fuel or oil.

Faulty Fuel Injector

A faulty fuel injector can result in a cylinder misfire. If other diagnostic codes are present that indicate an injector circuit fault those diagnostic codes should be diagnosed first. If engine mechanical problems and injector electrical circuit problems have been ruled out Ford recommends the replacement of the fuel injector in the affected cylinder. It is important to inspect the injector sleeve inside the cylinder head prior to installing a new injector.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM

Thanks for for the info and reply i really appreciate it! i really hope it nothing major like low compression or anything. i think/hope it was prob air because i drove it all day today with a 6k lb trailer and it ran amazing and no codes came back so i really hope it doesnt happen again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.