Agghhhh.....alternator quit! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Agghhhh.....alternator quit!

Driving to airport to pick up my girlfriend the battery light comes on......crap. I just replaced the battery....yeah yeah I know replace them both.....gotta do as funds allow. Anyway alternator won't charge. Pull into the nearest Autozone and luckily they have the alternator in stock....$190...ouch. Pop the hood in the parking lot and 10 minutes later back on my way with a new alternator charging at 13.7 volts with everything on. Hate being stressed out and on a timeline for emergency repairs, being as how I only bought the truck 2 weeks ago the dealer will be getting the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Glad you got going. I got into the Autozone alternator trap last year. I was working out of town in another small town near B.F.E. on a Saturday. Everything dead when I went to start the truck for the drive back home. After I got it jumped I found out the only game in town was Autozone. I picked one up there for about $140 and changed it out in the parking lot. Long story short, it went bad a couple of weeks ago and I had to get Autozone to swap it under warranty. This go around, I upgraded for a "new" as opposed to "re-man" for no more money due to the difference in core prices. I still don't have a ton of confidence in the new one. We'll see.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoyner View Post
Glad you got going. I got into the Autozone alternator trap last year. I was working out of town in another small town near B.F.E. on a Saturday. Everything dead when I went to start the truck for the drive back home. After I got it jumped I found out the only game in town was Autozone. I picked one up there for about $140 and changed it out in the parking lot. Long story short, it went bad a couple of weeks ago and I had to get Autozone to swap it under warranty. This go around, I upgraded for a "new" as opposed to "re-man" for no more money due to the difference in core prices. I still don't have a ton of confidence in the new one. We'll see.
A friend of mine told me anytime he had a battery go bad the alternator followed within a week. After this I tend to believe him. When I replaced the one battery 2 weeks ago I tested the other and it was good. I will be replacing that one this week to match the pass side battery.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM

The plot thickens. Had the dealer I purchased the truck from pull up their svc records. No indication of oil change or filter svc since they had it,after I was told everything was done......now I'm pissed! So here I sit at the local Ford dealer having them service everything because I don't have time to do it myself right now. The dealer i bought this from is a friend...hmmm..was a friend....still love the truck but feeling cheated right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.