OIL REPORT? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OIL REPORT?

Blackstone did an oil report for me & it reads as follows: Fuel was found at 2.5% in the first sample from your PSD. This level is just into are cautionary range and may indicate a fuel system problem developing. As this is the first sample that we've seen from your 6.0 we're hesitant to make that call but we'll keep an eye on it next time. No other contaminates were found and wear looks great so the fuel hasn't affected anything.-------------I usually only drive short distances from work & home ( 4-5 miles). Could the fuel in the oil be from that? Or where else? The report was done with 5300 miles on the oil. The truck has just under 60,000 miles on it. THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIPPERS View Post
I usually only drive short distances from work & home ( 4-5 miles). Could the fuel in the oil be from that? Or where else? The report was done with 5300 miles on the oil. The truck has just under 60,000 miles on it. THANKS!!!
Yes, short distance driving will do exactly that. Its fuel that passes by the rings when they aren't hot enough to seat. Try to put more highway miles on it this time!
2.5% of 15 guarts is 12 oz. if my math is right. 12 oz. of fuel is too much to be good. Your rings don't seat good untill you get to full operating temp and that takes 5-6 miles of driving on a cool fall morning.
One other thing you can do, and I have heard of alot of guys doing it, is after that first half mile driving, get on it hard for the next mile, that brings those temps up really fast and seats the rings faster.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 PM

I live in North Missouri, and some mornings it takes 3 to 4 miles to warm up.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:59 PM

I have the same problem. I have been doing changes at 3k to keep it from causing damage. My travel is almost all highway and I never let it idle. I would love for someone on here (or the dealer) to say it's something other than idling and city driving. I even tried the high idle mod to let it warm up and no change to the fuel in oil level.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Rice Hunter

How about a remote starter and let that puppy warm up a notch or two before taking off ?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned

5 miles is way too short of a run for a diesel. If you must put your miles on 5 or 6 at a time then you need to shorten up the oil change intervals. 5300 miles is already a stretch on the oil change under good conditions. Most techs that fix these things on a daily basis will tell you no more than 4000 miles.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM

I had them do a TBN, and they said the oil had alot of life still in it and to try a 6500 mile oil change the next time? I would like to let it warm up before I drive it, but I'm told you shouldn't let them idle too long either?
Old 10-27-2007, 03:59 AM

What kind of damage can happen with 2.5% fuel in the oil at 5300 miles? If I go longer between oil changes won't the percentage go up?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 AM

Iwould think so.Are you running a chip? I noticed when I changed the oil in my trk last service it smelled fuely, maybe could be from that?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:36 AM

Definitely - give it some time to warm up at idle, when very little fuel is getting shot into the cylinders. Or use the block heater if it's very cold outside.

An engineer gave me a rundown on why driving a cold engine is hard on it. The parts tend to expand at slightly different rates. The quicker it warms up, the more the parts expand at their individual rates, causing pieces to move that don't normally move. This is particularly pronounced on engines that have aluminum heads and iron blocks, but it's true of any engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.