@ home FICM first aid questions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
@ home FICM first aid questions...

Well my FICM has been acting up. Low voltage after start up. Checked the batteries and while they are fairly new the are also fairly cheap and are @ 12.5 and 12.3v . And with the holidays and 2 birthdays in the next couple months Im gonna roll the dice and do a FICM home repair job-http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/124816-detailed-ficm-repair-procedure-new-post.html
Good news is my wife was a AT (radar geek) in the NAVY so she can solder very well.
So I ask anybody who has tryed this for your input.How did it go ? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Many folks have done this repair.

Just so you know, if it gets messed up, some repair places wont accept them.

But, since your wife is very experienced with these kind of repairs, I'd say go for it.

(I have not done this repair, I can't solder!)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM

Good solder station will benefit you as the points are pretty fine, especially the resistors. Be careful not to displace them since as soon as the solder flows both sides could let go and it will move. It can be put back but would be a pain. Over all the FICM removal is more of a pain in the *** than the soldering The goo removal can be done with no heat and would probably be less of a mess, I did mine with no heat. Just follow the guide, it is pretty good. The only thing different was the resistor placement because mine is an 03, and the guide is for later trucks, but they look the same, just in a different spot on the board

Last edited by _Diesel_; 11-14-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

I did this procedure myself 6 months ago and I had zero experience soldering. My volts were in the low 30's but since they have maintained @48.5v and the lowest they have dropped is 47v. When I took the goo off one of the four resistors wasn't even soldered onto the board anymore. Just make sure you don't cross the connection between them, and be careful because there's a very small area in between them.

Last edited by lethald; 11-14-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
Many folks have done this repair.

Just so you know, if it gets messed up, some repair places wont accept them.

But, since your wife is very experienced with these kind of repairs, I'd say go for it.

(I have not done this repair, I can't solder!)
And this is something that I have thought about. But, if all goes well I save a minimum of $195 plus shipping and handling plus no truck down time and I get to say "its shake n bake and I helped it...". (That means I/wife get the credit for fixing the truck.) If all goes wrong I get to go to BPD and buy some real nice truck bling.
So today I have to take the trash to the dump before I tear into the truck, so hopefully by tonite I will know if this all works for the best.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Premium Member

Just be careful unplugging the connectors. Push in first, then pull out. It's tight in there.

Look real close at the harness after you get the FICM out. Make sure there isn't any chaffing going on.

If you look right behind the FICM you will see the heater return hose. Some times it rubs on the FICM housing. You might think, since you are in there, to get a chunk of bigger hose and wrap it in that area.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

I didn't have any problems doing this (I am an electronics tech) and the hardest part, as has been already said, is getting the FICM out and then back in. Voltage is now no lower than 47.5V now. I highly recommend trying this if you're having FICM voltage issues - just take your time.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Well job is done....for now. Did the re solder job ervything seemed to go as could be hoped but no real diffrence in over all volts. Dosnt seem to pizz of the EDGE quite as much as it did before so I guess something got better....Looks like more truck bling after the holidays.
You know what they say, you'll never hit a homer if you dont get up and swing the bat!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Did you replace any of the capacitors? If you aren't seeing any voltage increase.....more than likely you could probably benefit on swapping those out as well.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Keep us posted, bud. Over the life of FICM manufacturing, Ford switched from 7-pin to 4-pin and also switched to inferior components, so you could have had an internal failure which soldering won't be able to fix. I wouldn't just throw electronic parts at the problem though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.