Looking into a 06 F250 6.0 Lariat, few questions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking into a 06 F250 6.0 Lariat, few questions...

Hello all. Been a member for some time just never really posted as I never had a PS. I picked up a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 back in 2010, its been great, still love the truck, but this 06 F250 has caught my eye. Im now looking into trading my 2010 1500 straight across for this 06 F250.

Im not to concerned about the #'s as I am working at killing some negative on my finances but would like to have a bigger truck in the mean time for hauling purposes(camper, quads, Great Dane...). So far it sounds like I can get the trade for a 1:1, keep my current payments and overall loan amount wouldn't change.

My biggest concern is this truck is a lifted truck with bigger wheels/tires. Its been modified. How much should I trust this truck? Will a OASIS report tell me what I need to know? Also, this is at a Ford dealer so I am requesting they go over the entire truck top to bottom and provide a warranty on it as well. Not sure what I should be asking for in terms of a warranty and inspection though?

List of what I have found via basic searches-
1. EGR Delete?
2. Head studs or have bolts been placed?
3. scan tool during test drive – check deltas
4. Verify trans oil not burnt
5. ball joints, bearings, tie-rods
6. verify any leaks around engine bay, look at underside of hood
7. degass bottle for any white residue, look at leaf spring on drivers side as well
8. turbo boots and CAC boots
9. Transmission slippage?

The truck itself...
2006 F250 Super Duty crew cab - Lariat. 74k miles.
K&N Intake
some kind of exhaust
Not sure of the lift, appears to be a solid kit. Has ICON shocks I believe
Everything on the truck is very clean. Engine bay is pretty dirty. You can tell they skipped detailing this area(which Im glad they did).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

I would say that is an awesome deal. Even if you had to drop in a new engine you would still be ahead!

That said, you should really pickup a scan tool to check the delta between the oil and coolant. You want to check it with the truck fully warmed up on a flat road running between 60 and 65 mph. The difference should be less than 15*. If it is more than 15* then you should plan on replacing the oil cooler because it is clogged. While you are in there to do that you could do an EGR delete. Also, if the difference is 15* you will really want to check for the residue on the degas bottle (sign of puking coolant). That would be because the head gaskets are blown and you will need to replace them. Average cost to do ALL of that work seems to be between $3000 and $5000 depending on location and the shop. Of course, if you do it yourself the cost would be significantly less.

EDIT: I noticed you are in WA. Where abouts? You should check out the CCR Chat thread for us WA and OR members.

Also, to monitor you could use a Scangauge II (I happen to one for sale right now because I upgraded), an Edge CS, Edge CTS, Dashboss, or an SCT Livewire TS (the one I upgraded to).

Last edited by dieselmatt; 11-14-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am in the North end in Marysville. Ill check out the CCR!

As for a scan tool, I dont want to buy one for a test drive....would the dealer be able to hook one up for a test drive? Obviously Ill ask when I go back in....
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I mis-spoke. my bad!

Last edited by william_ace; 11-14-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_ace View Post
No, the dealer will not have the proper scan guage.
I shall look into other options...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yes the dealer will it's for sale at a ford dealership. Ask for a tech to come on a test drive and bring his IDS with you to verify the engine vitals are in fact healthy.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Yes the dealer will it's for sale at a ford dealership. Ask for a tech to come on a test drive and bring his IDS with you to verify the engine vitals are in fact healthy.
awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.