5R110 Transmission Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
5R110 Transmission Help

EDIT: Since I couldn't keep is short, here's the cliff notes version, read below for the symptoms and all. Trans is leaking from the top of the housing somewhere. My question is what the hell is up there to leak?

I'll try to keep this short and sweet, not one of my strong suites. Basically I have a 05 250, noticed the last few days it took a little longer than normal to go into gear, and slipped a little on the 3-5 shift. I have been loading tunes the last few days, and attributed it to the trans learning. Well, it kept doing it, and last night it stopped locking the converter, then today felt it had no power, then eventually started slipping really bad in all gears, pulled over (luckily into an advance auto parking lot) and checked fluid, I put 3-4 quarts in, and all better. It was raining cats and dogs, so I couldn't really investigate right then, plus as usual I was late for something or another, and had to get going.

On the way home, it began flashing the tow/haul light, and eventually threw a check engine light, a P0741, which is the converter lockup solenoid code, and was starting to take longer to engage into drive/reverse. It finally stopped raining, so I crawled under to look and it had leaked trans fluid everywhere, which obviously explains why it was low. I cleaned it all up with brake clean, bone dry. Started it up, let it idle for about 5 minutes, nothing, not a drip. Drove it around the block, and checked again, it had fluid leaking from the top of the transmission running down the sides to the bottom. Not necessarily the bell housing, just the upperside somewhere, actually looked like it was coming from about 2/3's of the way back from the "front" or bellhousing area, again on top of the transmission.

I said I was gonna keep it short and sweet, but clearly that didn't pan out. Sorry. Anyway, I'm sure the converter not locking, and the delayed gear engagement and all is obviously related to the loss of fluid...but what would be leaking on top of the transmission? It appears to be leaking from the rear area, but hard to tell at night without any real tools/mirror or something. I'm not too terribly familiar with the 5R110, but I can't think of anything that would cause it to leak like that on top of the trans housing.

Any thoughts? I need to fix this asap, just got it running again after bad injectors, and now this. I haven't researched this much yet, but it's not exactly easy to search for on here, or google for that matter. Thanks. I really appreciate the help. Jared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

What were your trans temps? I've seen them boil over and leak out the top. I'm not real familiar with the 5r110 either, but I'm just throwing that out there.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Temps would climb over the 200 mark, babied, but I'd imagine that was because of a lack if fluid, not the other way arund. Drove it pretty easy today, although yesterday I raced a friends 6.4, hard launch in 4x4. Possibly related, but the symptoms were around before the race. They cleared up, or so I thought,and thr tune had had a couple days on it before then to learn. Wasn't tryin to race on a weak trans.

I don't know about the seal, I assume you meant rear tail housing seal, inbetween the trans and t case. Obviously the rear main seal in the motor wouldn't be leaking transfluid, lol. It leaks too though, haha, just motor oil. I havent been into one of these transmissions before, or t case for that matter, but I assume theres a seal or gasket/ o ring in between the trans and t case. If that gasket were leaking I'd assume putting it in gear wouodnt make it leak more, probably just leak all the time, and probably out of the bottom, but who knows.

I looked at pics of the trans on google images, I dont see crap on top that looks like fluid would leak out from. I'll crawl under it tomorrow with a mirror in the daylight to see if I can pinpoint it better, I just figured someone on here may have heard of something specific. It's a wierd damn problem, seems to ve the only kind I have.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not sure if this is gonna give you an answer, but Bismic has a lot of Trans info on this link.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/84...eshooting.html

And here is a little article on the 5R110.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/att...-torqshift.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Stiles likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lilpooh For This Useful Post:
Stiles (03-08-2014)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Premium Member

Thanks man, ill read through all that, maybe point me in the right direction. When I have time, I just need to drop the crossmember and look at the top of it. My temps on the highway were like 250+ and climbing slowly. I'm not sure now that the temps were lower before, might have been 200+ and i didnt notice, but i dont think so. I am kinda wondering now if its leaking via boiling out of the vent tube, who knows. Actually, now thay i say that, it cant be, after I cleaned it last night, and drove it around the block, temps were only like 160*, def shouodnt boil over. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have looked at pictures and I think there is a vent up there like on most auto trannys ?

let me see if i can find a pic

copy and paste this in the transmission section and Engineer Mark may chime in
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, I've looked for pics, but I don't know why it would.be boiling out of the vent, especially at low temps. It occured to me halfway through posting this that there was a trans problem section. Perhaps we should move it...I kinda feel like mayhe more people will see it here...but who knows. I don't want to start another thread, or even a link to this thread in the trans section, and create a big hassle for the mods. Whatever ya'll think.

By the way, those links lilpooh posted are amazing. Very informative.

Perhaps jugernaut will chime in, I know he's familiar with them. I'll probably drop the x-member after work and take a look. Not sure what ill find, but it'll probably be expensive. If it is just gushing out of the vent at low temps, what would cause that? The transmission part of my brain is a little rusty, particularly for auto's.

Last edited by Gearhead2012; 11-14-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have a spare tranny laying in my garage... I can take pics and post for you tonight if you want any
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

page 6 verifies top vent location

TorqShift Transmission - Information and Troubleshooting - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Here is the pic of the vent and the top of the transmission. The vent is just a simple metal crimped top. As you said, you need to find where it is coming from.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.