how hard is it to pull the turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how hard is it to pull the turbo?

Im wondering how hard it is to pull the turbo? What kind of time frame am I looking at to do this? Thanks

2004 F250 CCSB FX4
ARP Head Studs, EGR deleted, Sinister bypasss, Cts by Edge, 180/75 by Warren, 62/80 II paht Shaft, Custom Built trans with TransGo Shift kit, Fass 150, S&B Intake, SCT by ID and GH, 4" MBRP turbo back......BlackOut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Talked to the guys at Bullet Proof Diesel and they said they can do a turbo R/R in under an hour....
That being said Ive done it once so far and if I was to budget my time for the job I would give my self couple hours maybe 3. But Ive only done it once. Wasnt "hard",juz a step by step job. U CAN DO IT!!!

BPD OIL COOLER W/COLD WEATHER PACK & BPD oil bypass amsiol filter
BPD WATER PUMP, RADIATOR+ EGR.ARP STUDS
,edge turbo timer
5" TB DIAMOND EYE EXH
ATLAS 40
TITLE IN HAND...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
An experienced tech can do an R&R under an hour as stated. First time I'd give yourself 3 or 4.

Got questions about your 6.0?

Still runninng Ford Gold Coolant?

post #4 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys another question for ya, where is the turbo seal located, the reason I asked was because I noticed oil on the front of the exhaust housing. It looked like it was leaking from a bolt? I have an industrial injection phatshaft turbo so its not a stocker

2004 F250 CCSB FX4
ARP Head Studs, EGR deleted, Sinister bypasss, Cts by Edge, 180/75 by Warren, 62/80 II paht Shaft, Custom Built trans with TransGo Shift kit, Fass 150, S&B Intake, SCT by ID and GH, 4" MBRP turbo back......BlackOut
post #5 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM
XL trash...

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make sure ya get the turbo mounting kit from ford. Picked mine up for like ten bucks or something. Has new mounting bolts, oil feed gasket and drain oring. You might as well update the oil feed tube and drain tube. My drain tube was in pretty sorry shape and leaking. Oh and be careful with the vgt pigtail. Mine was brittle and snapped a prong, the replacement plug is cheap too. Anyways had mine off a couple of times, pretty easy. Also make sure the downpipe and clamps line back up on reinstall. And make sure the outlet boots are oil free and tight. Drink a beer and take your time. Good luck!

Chris- 2006 XL F250 44 LBCC, the "Don Schula express"..

Holder's 190/30s, custom reg return, 6.7 pump fuel system, custom built Amsoil oil bypass, custom ported intake and custom stage 2 GT4088 turbo, all built by me, BD diesel up-pipes and manifolds , Coolingmist methanol injection, studded, PMF traction Bars, deleted and oringed heads with some BPD goodies... with some love from Loxdce
post #6 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 03:46 PM
XL trash...

Are you blowing any blue smoke?

Holder's 190/30s, custom reg return, 6.7 pump fuel system, custom built Amsoil oil bypass, custom ported intake and custom stage 2 GT4088 turbo, all built by me, BD diesel up-pipes and manifolds , Coolingmist methanol injection, studded, PMF traction Bars, deleted and oringed heads with some BPD goodies... with some love from Loxdce
post #7 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've done it in under an hour but that's hustling and everything has to go right. I don't like to rush like that normally

-Matt

Ford Senior Master Tech

2015 F-250 XLT 6.7L

2006 F-250 6.0L SOLD
post #8 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes, I am blowing a lot of blue smoke on excelleration. It hadn't been doing it until recently

2004 F250 CCSB FX4
post #9 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM
XL trash...

I recently had the same issue. But it was because of my CCV mod. I was about to pull my turbo again and inspect it, but corrected my mod and all has been well so far. If you do pull the turbo and it has oil on the exhaust side, well then from what I have read, yes that is the idication of a blown oil seal. Don't know about the fat shaft turbo, but there are rebuild kits for the standard 6.0 turbo.

post #10 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not the greatest pic but here is the leak.

On a side note I did run a piece of tubing from the dog house to the intake it has a little bend that might be restricting the ventilation could that cause it? Come to think of it that's when it started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	45678  

2004 F250 CCSB FX4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode