Going to be pulling heavy load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going to be pulling heavy load

Okay I am going to be making a 700 mile trip from Eily nv to florence arizona pulling a 29ft fifth wheel trailer with a 92 Chevy s10 hook to the trailer. I have a 06 ford f250 with the 6.0 my oil temps are already running at about 6-7 degree warmer than engine coolant temp. The engine is bone stock the only mode done is the crank case breather mode is all I have done what do u guys think about making that long of a trip with the way the temps are running thanks everyone for the in put
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6 to 7 delta T is well within normal operating range i wouldnt worry about it at all. It sounds like you have a monitor already so just monitor your temps as you should be always and go for it. If you dont have a monitor GET ONE
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM

Yep just bought the dash boss and love it my temps run like that empty and pulling what would u guys call red line temp for the oil cooler so I can monitor that to make sure I don't blow up the oil cooler. Just flushed my cooling system I flushed is so good that I have 5 5 gallon bucket of old coolant I have to find a home for lol put in cat coolant back in and she is doing good so far. One other question what temp is red line for the trany as well so I can set all my limits up so I save my truck on this pull
Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Are you running conv or syn oil, tranny temp shouldnt go much above 220 for long periods IMO

Here is what i have my alarms set at, some are set to a point below "Red Line" just so i know when i am getting close and need to pay attention.

EGT- 1200
EOT- 230
ECT- 220
ETT- 220
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 AM

I am running rotela 15/40 I go from synth to normal every other oil change thank for the temp I don't have exh gas temp is all
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger19 View Post
I am running rotela 15/40 I go from synth to normal every other oil change thank for the temp I don't have exh gas temp is all
Why not just run Syn all the time? Why change up the addatives every time.
You know how they say not to change the type of food you feed your pets, well IMO engine oil is the same... Choose one and stick to it!

I am running Rotella T-6 full Syn oil. I switched from Dyno 15-40 and noticed it run Alot better
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger19 View Post

Are you tuned?
If not I would not worry about your EGT too much... Just don't run up mountains at full throttle.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstrom View Post
6 to 7 delta T is well within normal operating range i wouldnt worry about it at all. It sounds like you have a monitor already so just monitor your temps as you should be always and go for it. If you dont have a monitor GET ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstrom View Post
Are you running conv or syn oil, tranny temp shouldnt go much above 220 for long periods IMO

Here is what i have my alarms set at, some are set to a point below "Red Line" just so i know when i am getting close and need to pay attention.

EGT- 1200
EOT- 230
ECT- 220
ETT- 220

Those are the numbers I go by When towing
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

If your running a stock tune then Egt's shouldnt be an issue either. That being said i would highly reccomend you monitor them none the less, the probe is a pretty easy install. If you have Syn oil in it you can hit 240 for again a short time some have gone as high as 250 but i try to never go much above 230 for any length of time and if i get close to 240 i back off. But that is just me and my habits, others will run there truck harder with no problems. For what reason do you alternate oils? I would reccomend just sticking with Syn i run T-6 5w40 all year and love it
Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM

I plan on taking my time on my way back and going to drive at night to make it just alittle bit easier on the truck and cooling system I cruise at about 55 to 60 when pulling going to start running synthic next oil change and yes truck has no tune right now thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.