ABS light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS light

Hey was just looking for some help. Work offshore and on the way down my speedometer went to 0 and back to speed then the ABS light came on. Was told by someone it may be a speed sensor or something like that on my rear axle..can anyone help and I have to drive back home so I was wondering if it hurts anything to keep driving it until i can get home and get the problem resolved. thank you for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have a monitor? What you described has been attributed to alernator failures sometimes. Believe it or not, have you been having any problems cranking lately?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you can try to clean the VSS ( vehicle speed sender ) it is also the ABS sender

top driver side rear axle ( the rear is the only one that does speed even though there are three abs senders total)

the nut in the pic upper right where the u shape casting is is where the sender is mounted

best pic I had

Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM

Thank you for the reply..No i dont have a monitor..have two brand new 850cc amp batteries and havent had any cranking issues. The ABS light came on after my speedometer reset and after about 2 miles of driving it went off...I did an egr delete about a year ago and of course my check egine light came on but after my oil change and driving to work it went off...hoping there arent any issues there either.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Rear speed sensor, it transmits speed to the ABS module which then communicates the info to the PCM for vehicle speed. Very common to have these go bad. Also inspect all of the visible wiring going from the sensor to the frame. For some reason these are favorable wires to get chewed on.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
Rear speed sensor, it transmits speed to the ABS module which then communicates the info to the PCM for vehicle speed. Very common to have these go bad. Also inspect all of the visible wiring going from the sensor to the frame. For some reason these are favorable wires to get chewed on.
Somewhat dumb question but can you tell me the procedure on removing the sensor? I know there is a bolt holding the sensor on(which I've removed) but can not seem to get it to pop out for fear of breaking it off. Any tips or tricks or it really stubborn and will eventually pop out?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Ahh yes, the stuck rear speed sensor. The best thing to do is try and get it rotating in the housing. back and forth as much as it will turn to help loosen up the o-ring. A flat bladed screwdriver is usually all that's needed. Penetration oil may help some. If you can get it rotating then prying up while wiggling it out seems to do the trick.

I have broken them off before and it's not fun to try and dig it out. It does happen though, just keep working at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.