What to buy?: Shell Rotella T (M/G 15W-40) or Rotella T w/Triple Protection (15W-40) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What to buy?: Shell Rotella T (M/G 15W-40) or Rotella T w/Triple Protection (15W-40)

About to do the first oil change and had some questions.

What is better and what do I need to get?

Shell Rotella T - Multigrade 15W-40

or

Shell Rotella T - with Triple Protection 15W-40

Is there any real difference? Is the "Triple Protection" version just a newer version of the Rotella T Multigrade?

Got to take care of this in next day or so (already @ 5500 miles) and need to nail down the oil choice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 07:29 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i would bite the bullet and get some Amsoil and one of there 25k mile oil filters and don't worry about changing the oil again fer a year.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Amsoil all the way,, just look into it, synthetic is really the only way to go. and for like 20 bucks you can send in oil samples and you really know whats going on, and they will tell you when it needs changed. Now i am an Amsoil dealer so i am biased, but until the Amsoil gig ive ALWAYS ran syns in my stuff without ever having an engine problem.. thats my oo if i can help u out pm me,, man they get their stuff sent out ASAP!!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 AM

Smile Oil

Thats what I run Amsoil. they can get it shipped to you. I use a vendor on the board that supports the board, but thats me.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 AM

I actually had the dealer do it yesterday for my 1st oil change. Reading this info just gave me a world of knowledge regarding the oil. How 'bout change intervals with synthetic?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 AM

ok fellas,, heres a link(if it works?) to do some reading abooot Amsoil drain intervals
Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've been using the Rotella 15W-40 with the Tripple Protection at 4k mile change intervals. But I'm thinking seriously about switching to Amsoil. If I switch I'll definitely be using an Amsoil dealer who supports this board.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thanks to all that responded, I appreciate the advice. I'll probably go with Rotella for this service, but plan on looking at Amsoil before the next one.

Jack, how's that Rotella with Triple Protection been working out for you?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Jon

Just my opinion

I wouldnt run amsoil in my bicycle let alone my powerstroke, but thats my two cents. I am a fan of the motorcraft oil not just because I work at a dealer and have seen the inside of these motors with 500,000 miles on them after running motorcraft. Rotella is another excellent choice for your truck. Just regular old rotells. I think its like 8 bucks a gallon at walmart. The Amsoil has been known to cause driveability issues with the powerstrokes. I'm not trying to start a war because I know there are plenty of people here that claim it doesnt but problems have been fixed in powerstrokes just by draining amsoil out and putting motorcraft in.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The Rotella is good stuff and I've been buying it cheap at Walmart. Believe it or not I pay $8.88 for the gallon jugs of 15W-40 w/Triple Protection. That is cheap and hard to pass up. And the Shell web site has a good technical argument for the Triple Protection. But so many people rave about Amsoil that I decided to go with it for my next change. I looked at Royal Purple and there is a strong following for it. But Amsoil has strong brand name recognition and a top reputation for quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.