Thinking about getting an 03 X tomorrow.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about getting an 03 X tomorrow..

This turned into more of a "talking it out with the keyboard" type post. After typing so much, might as well post it

Hey guys, we've been in the market for a ford excursion about three times over the past couple years, and have been looking again recently. I've always wanted a 7.3 but the ones I'm finding are still ridiculously priced.

If I wait around I might be able to jump on something if it happens to cross my path, but I'm all about scouring the internet. I have access to Oasis reports so I started running everything I could find within a hundred miles or so from my place. I've found a couple 03 - 05 that weren't horrible, and a few that could potentially be a nightmare. I was surprised to see some of the information in the reports about a couple 7.3's I looked up as well.

Anyway, The wife and I went to have a look at one (03) tonight, the Oasis is great IMO. The crankshaft seal was replaced shortly after purchase, recall 03E30 8 years ago, EBP sensor 8 years ago, recall 04S15 7 years ago, AC issues 6 years ago, recall 06E17 6 years ago, and ICP sensor replaced 4 years ago. Very typical stuff to be in one of these, even much better than most of the reports I've seen lately. The Carfax checked out too. 2 owner rig, maintenance done at a local dealership at 90k miles few years ago.

Rig is in pretty good shape inside and out. The engine compartment is very clean, fuel filters been replaced regularly (I was told) along with oil changes, newer tires, and new brakes. There wasn't any mods under the hood, stock exhaust, no extra gauges, I'd be shocked if it ever had a tuner. The guy had the dates of install written in sharpie on the batteries when i asked about them too. He gave me no reason to not believe anything he was saying.

There's a decent sized dent in the pass door (where one of his boys fell into it with a bike), and one above the rear drivers tail light in the pillar, he backed into something high enough to not set off the backup sensors. Don't think the dents will bother me, wife has no issue with them either (we're jeepers and have dents in our junk anyway). The paint appears to have been maintained well, looks like it's been waxed often, not even the typical fading where Ex's get them on the rear deck handle, etc. It looks garage kept, who the hell has a garage big enough for this thing anyway? It's been smoked in, but it's not super strong smelling. The guy has only towed with it occasionally.

I didn't crawl under it tonight because it was dark and rainy, but I intend to tomorrow to check out the crankshaft seal and rear main seal for leaks, along with anything else I can spot. It drove pretty well, steering was a little flighty, it's a bit expected though with over 100k. I'm sure it could use some new ball joints and front end work in the not so distant future.

Been doing a lot of thinking and researching tonight and I'm leaning towards picking it up. I'll see if I can negotiate a little, it looks like it's been paid off recently, but the guy seemed pretty set on his price.

Time to sleep on it for a couple hours, I'll post back tomorrow with an update. If anyone wants to bring up something I forgot to look for or just feel like posting please do! Take it easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Now that you did most of your homework, you need to buy a monitor solution and plug it into the OBDII for your other tests.

You'll need to find out the ECT/EOT delta, this is for the health of your oil cooler. The FICMv will also be checked at this time.

Use a OBDII monitor to help you make a informed decision.

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When you first go to look at it, try and make sure it's bone cold so you can check for injector problems. Other than that it sounds like you're in good shape. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL while selling cummins but dreaming of powerstrokes!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like a decent truck. I have an 03 with 104k on it. It is showing some age but I keep an eye on the engine vitals and make sure all mnx is done . I am sure you can find lots of info around the site on the problems associated with the 6.0 and what folks have done to fix or resolve the issues . One thing if you can get access to a monitoring tool is the hook it up to review any codes and take it for a drive. Look in the sticky post on the page for the 6.0 billet proofing thread. Warm the engine up to ops temp and at 65 on flat ground see what the EOT and ECT temp difference is. That will give you insight into the oil cooler's health.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Now that you did most of your homework, you need to buy a monitor solution and plug it into the OBDII for your other tests.

You'll need to find out the ECT/EOT delta, this is for the health of your oil cooler. The FICMv will also be checked at this time.

Use a OBDII monitor to help you make a informed decision.

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weberjaw View Post
One thing if you can get access to a monitoring tool is the hook it up to review any codes and take it for a drive. Look in the sticky post on the page for the 6.0 billet proofing thread. Warm the engine up to ops temp and at 65 on flat ground see what the EOT and ECT temp difference is. That will give you insight into the oil cooler's health.
I don't think I'll be able to get my hands on a monitoring tool, a buddy has the Edge system but I don't think he's in town for me to borrow it. If I wind up buying it I'll be purchasing something very quick to monitor the engine vitals for sure. Great thread to read, and thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0f250firstcar View Post
When you first go to look at it, try and make sure it's bone cold so you can check for injector problems. Other than that it sounds like you're in good shape. Good luck!
I'm going to try and look at it today when it's cold, I'll be calling the owner in about 30 mins to see if it's been started yet today. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Even a ScangaugeII can be bought at your local Autozone. It's cheap insurance before buying a used 6.0. Buying a used 6.0 without hooking up a monitor prior to purchase is play Russian roulette with your paycheck.

IMO, I would wait to hand any money over until you get a monitor first.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well? Did you get the Ex?

Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weberjaw View Post
Well? Did you get the Ex?

Not that one, lol. The wife and I drove to Phonenix last night and bought a 2002 Ex this morning! We love it, im on my phone so I'll post pics probably after this weekend is over. Ill give the owner of the 2003 my carfax i printed out of his truck and the oasis i have for it as well. It will probably help him with the sale.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why the sudden change of mind?

Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0f250firstcar View Post
Why the sudden change of mind?

Not really sudden, we always wanted the 7.3, they're just so hard to find. There was two near the brother in laws house, so we packed up the guns and headed out to go shooting and car shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.