I need help understanding why this is happening (fuel pressure) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I need help understanding why this is happening (fuel pressure)

Ok so I have been watching my fuel pressure gauge since I installed it back in July. I've noticed that in a certain gear the pressure would always drop more than it does in others. Today I finally did some investigative work and this is what I found:

At idle the fuel pressure is 65-70psi. Upon spirited driving the pressure may drop to 60psi. Nothing to be alarmed about. Here is the interesting part. At WOT the pressure maintains a rock solid 60psi in gears 1, 2, and 3. Upon shifting into 5th, the pressure will begin drop rapidly. At around 3,000RPM it starts to drop to about 55psi and at 3,300RPM it is at 50psi. Anything beyond 3,500 and I'm well below 40psi. I actually saw the pressure drop to 20psi a few days ago with the engine running at ~3,800 RPM. I first noticed this when I installed my gauge back in July and found that I always had to feather the throttle in 5th to maintain atleast 50psi. Once it's in 6th gear and with the TC locked the fuel pressure problems go away.

So what I'm wondering, is there anyway to cure this without going to a full aftermarket fuel system? Before anyone says it, the fuel filters were replaced ~1,000 miles ago. I am just amazed that the pressure is ok in 1-3 and 6th but upon the selection of 5th is there really that much more demand for fuel?

Sorry for the long winded post. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with my fuel system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF985 View Post
Ok so I have been watching my fuel pressure gauge since I installed it back in July. I've noticed that in a certain gear the pressure would always drop more than it does in others. Today I finally did some investigative work and this is what I found:

At idle the fuel pressure is 65-70psi. Upon spirited driving the pressure may drop to 60psi. Nothing to be alarmed about. Here is the interesting part. At WOT the pressure maintains a rock solid 60psi in gears 1, 2, and 3. Upon shifting into 5th, the pressure will begin drop rapidly. At around 3,000RPM it starts to drop to about 55psi and at 3,300RPM it is at 50psi. Anything beyond 3,500 and I'm well below 40psi. I actually saw the pressure drop to 20psi a few days ago with the engine running at ~3,800 RPM. I first noticed this when I installed my gauge back in July and found that I always had to feather the throttle in 5th to maintain atleast 50psi. Once it's in 6th gear and with the TC locked the fuel pressure problems go away.

So what I'm wondering, is there anyway to cure this without going to a full aftermarket fuel system? Before anyone says it, the fuel filters were replaced ~1,000 miles ago. I am just amazed that the pressure is ok in 1-3 and 6th but upon the selection of 5th is there really that much more demand for fuel?

Sorry for the long winded post. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with my fuel system.
I did not see in your post or the signature that you have completed teh Blue Spring upgrade for the fuel pressure.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM

this is very odd
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frakchered View Post
I did not see in your post or the signature that you have completed teh Blue Spring upgrade for the fuel pressure.
I should have mentioned it. Blue spring has been in for 2 years just about.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

My guess is coupled with your tune, your hfcm is failing. They dont last forever, nice you got a guage, low fuel pressure will kill injectors real quick.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd bet your pump is tired too. mine was kinda like yours but not really. lol. Mine would be fine for a couple days then i'd randomly lose pressure when getting on it but fine under easy driving. Mine had around 130k when i replaced it.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:36 PM

i would say tuning.... your stock fuel system just isnt keeping up with the demands.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlo View Post
I'd bet your pump is tired too. mine was kinda like yours but not really. lol. Mine would be fine for a couple days then i'd randomly lose pressure when getting on it but fine under easy driving. Mine had around 130k when i replaced it.
Well mine has about 96.5k on it. Just seems premature on going out but I guess it could happen. Maybe I'll replace it next summer or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb99 View Post
i would say tuning.... your stock fuel system just isnt keeping up with the demands.
Could this be fixed with tuning? I think it would kind of ruin the tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.