I need help understanding why this is happening (fuel pressure) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
RRF985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I need help understanding why this is happening (fuel pressure)

Ok so I have been watching my fuel pressure gauge since I installed it back in July. I've noticed that in a certain gear the pressure would always drop more than it does in others. Today I finally did some investigative work and this is what I found:

At idle the fuel pressure is 65-70psi. Upon spirited driving the pressure may drop to 60psi. Nothing to be alarmed about. Here is the interesting part. At WOT the pressure maintains a rock solid 60psi in gears 1, 2, and 3. Upon shifting into 5th, the pressure will begin drop rapidly. At around 3,000RPM it starts to drop to about 55psi and at 3,300RPM it is at 50psi. Anything beyond 3,500 and I'm well below 40psi. I actually saw the pressure drop to 20psi a few days ago with the engine running at ~3,800 RPM. I first noticed this when I installed my gauge back in July and found that I always had to feather the throttle in 5th to maintain atleast 50psi. Once it's in 6th gear and with the TC locked the fuel pressure problems go away.

So what I'm wondering, is there anyway to cure this without going to a full aftermarket fuel system? Before anyone says it, the fuel filters were replaced ~1,000 miles ago. I am just amazed that the pressure is ok in 1-3 and 6th but upon the selection of 5th is there really that much more demand for fuel?

Sorry for the long winded post. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with my fuel system.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD, Deep Impact Blue


Totaled 12-26-12 It will be missed.
2006 F-250SD Lariat CCSB Dark Stone
-ARP head studs
-SCT SF3 w/ SRL+
-BPD Semi-bullet proof kit
-BPD FICM
-High Idle
-Edge Insight CS w/ EGT
-GlowShift Fuel Pressure gauge
-285/70/17 Toyo Open-Country A/T
-4" MBRP Turbo-back w/ cat-delete
-Randy Ellis bar w/ Hella 500s
RRF985 is offline  
post #2 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

 
frakchered's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Swansboro, NC
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF985 View Post
Ok so I have been watching my fuel pressure gauge since I installed it back in July. I've noticed that in a certain gear the pressure would always drop more than it does in others. Today I finally did some investigative work and this is what I found:

At idle the fuel pressure is 65-70psi. Upon spirited driving the pressure may drop to 60psi. Nothing to be alarmed about. Here is the interesting part. At WOT the pressure maintains a rock solid 60psi in gears 1, 2, and 3. Upon shifting into 5th, the pressure will begin drop rapidly. At around 3,000RPM it starts to drop to about 55psi and at 3,300RPM it is at 50psi. Anything beyond 3,500 and I'm well below 40psi. I actually saw the pressure drop to 20psi a few days ago with the engine running at ~3,800 RPM. I first noticed this when I installed my gauge back in July and found that I always had to feather the throttle in 5th to maintain atleast 50psi. Once it's in 6th gear and with the TC locked the fuel pressure problems go away.



So what I'm wondering, is there anyway to cure this without going to a full aftermarket fuel system? Before anyone says it, the fuel filters were replaced ~1,000 miles ago. I am just amazed that the pressure is ok in 1-3 and 6th but upon the selection of 5th is there really that much more demand for fuel?

Sorry for the long winded post. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with my fuel system.
I did not see in your post or the signature that you have completed teh Blue Spring upgrade for the fuel pressure.

2006 Ford F250 XLT FX4 95K
Ranch Hand Front/Rear Bumpers, RCD EGR Delete, 4" Diamond Eye TBE, aFe Air Intake, Edge CTS, Blue Spring, Banjo Upgrade, CCV Mod Dumped, Harpoon Mod, High Idle Mod, Coolant Filter, Rev X, Amsoil Oil Bypass, V-Tec Brutal 17", 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler


frakchered is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
this is very odd

2004.5 Mods: CTS, Lots Of Gauges, 7 inch Stack, ARP Studs, Tuned by Eric, SAP Diesel Full Fuel System, WEP Ported Intake Manifold, Mechman Alt, BPD 6 Phase Ficm, BPD Oil Cooler, BPD Oil Bypass, Warren 350cc conventionals, SAP Diesel/Warren Diesel Twin Pump Kit, SAP Diesel Triple Turbos and SAP Diesel Trans in Progress.

www.sapdiesel.com

g2shuck is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
RRF985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by frakchered View Post
I did not see in your post or the signature that you have completed teh Blue Spring upgrade for the fuel pressure.
I should have mentioned it. Blue spring has been in for 2 years just about.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD, Deep Impact Blue


Totaled 12-26-12 It will be missed.
2006 F-250SD Lariat CCSB Dark Stone
-ARP head studs
-SCT SF3 w/ SRL+
-BPD Semi-bullet proof kit
-BPD FICM
-High Idle
-Edge Insight CS w/ EGT
-GlowShift Fuel Pressure gauge
-285/70/17 Toyo Open-Country A/T
-4" MBRP Turbo-back w/ cat-delete
-Randy Ellis bar w/ Hella 500s
RRF985 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Premium Member
 
southend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My guess is coupled with your tune, your hfcm is failing. They dont last forever, nice you got a guage, low fuel pressure will kill injectors real quick.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

Unfortunately had to Sell my ......2004 KR CC SWB FX4 - Edge insight cts, blue spring upgrade, updated HFCM drain plug, XDP coolant filter, CAT EC-1 rated coolant, Custom Diesel EGR delete, CAT delete, Rotella T6

SEE MY OIL COOLER REPLACEMENT AND EGR DELETE - http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...tml?highlight=
southend is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
harlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd bet your pump is tired too. mine was kinda like yours but not really. lol. Mine would be fine for a couple days then i'd randomly lose pressure when getting on it but fine under easy driving. Mine had around 130k when i replaced it.

2004 F250 CCSB King Ranch
4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust
Insight CTS with Fuel PSI and EGT Sensors
SCT with Gearhead Tunes and more to come
Gryphon FICM Programer
IPR Gen2 EGR Delete
ARP Headstuds with OEM Gaskets
Sinister Coolant Filter and ELC
Redhead Steering Box
285/75R16 Cooper Discover ST Maxx tires

And the wish list keeps getting bigger!!
harlo is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 11-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
shawnb99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: O'Fallon,Mo
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i would say tuning.... your stock fuel system just isnt keeping up with the demands.

04 F-250 CCSB 4X4 6.0L Auto, tweaked by GEARHEAD

follow link to truck for sale
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/tru...w-80000-a.html
shawnb99 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
RRF985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlo View Post
I'd bet your pump is tired too. mine was kinda like yours but not really. lol. Mine would be fine for a couple days then i'd randomly lose pressure when getting on it but fine under easy driving. Mine had around 130k when i replaced it.
Well mine has about 96.5k on it. Just seems premature on going out but I guess it could happen. Maybe I'll replace it next summer or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb99 View Post
i would say tuning.... your stock fuel system just isnt keeping up with the demands.
Could this be fixed with tuning? I think it would kind of ruin the tune.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD, Deep Impact Blue


Totaled 12-26-12 It will be missed.
2006 F-250SD Lariat CCSB Dark Stone
-ARP head studs
-SCT SF3 w/ SRL+
-BPD Semi-bullet proof kit
-BPD FICM
-High Idle
-Edge Insight CS w/ EGT
-GlowShift Fuel Pressure gauge
-285/70/17 Toyo Open-Country A/T
-4" MBRP Turbo-back w/ cat-delete
-Randy Ellis bar w/ Hella 500s
RRF985 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome