Newbie here! Couple quick questions (which will be followed by many more....) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie here! Couple quick questions (which will be followed by many more....)

So, I just bought a new (to me) 2006 F250 Superduty CC Lariat. Very low miles of 53k. I've had a 2001 7.3 f350 in the past, so I have some PSD knowledge, but not much....

This one has been heavily modified in appearance (Icon lift, ARB bumper, Rigid LED lights front and rear, ARE topper, XD wheels with 37's). The list goes on, she's a BEAST! And was apparently done by a seriously professional shop as the detail is impressive.

Here's my question, how can I tell what all has been done to the motor, such as blue spring mod, ARP studs, tune? It feels like it has a tune of some sort, but i have no idea what. Should I have a local dealer flash a stock tune and purchase a programmer, such as a Livewire? Seems like a waste... Any EGR upgrade should be visible, right? (Hey, I said I was a newbie!)

I just find it hard to believe someone would do all the high-end work on the appearance and then skimp on the guts. And advice is greatly appreciated!

BTW, this forum has been great for info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's a pic.... Hopefully it comes through.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie here!  Couple quick questions (which will be followed by many more....)-image.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
EGR delete.

Factory head bolt.

ARP stud.

Blue spring, you can either pull the housing off of the fuel pressure regulator and see if the spring is blue, or you can hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see if it's around 64 psi.

I would imagine if the truck doesn't have a programmer with it than it is on stock file. If you need help in purchasing a programmer for your truck let me know. I can get you fixed up with one. Also it is imperative to get a monitor in the truck asap to be able to watch the engine vitals in live stream data. Edge Insight CS/CTS, Dashboss, Scangauge II are all good options. If you need help in choosing one let me know and I can help you get setup with one as well. Welcome to the .ORG! There is an abundance of information and helpful people here so fire away with the questions.

Bryan @ Stealth Automotive
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off-
Now as far as being able to tell if you have studs or not look down next to your valve cover. I beleive the passenger side front is easy too see, if it looks like a bolt head then no ARP's. If it looks like a stud with a nut on it...then yes. Take a flashlight and look around.
As far as the blue spring I dont think their is a way to tell if its been done without pulling the cover and looking or checking your pressures with a guage. But the guage wont tell you if its been done, just if you still need too.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is essential.....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM

nice looking truck. what did you give for her??
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM

you know as far as how to tell on the blue spring,was I the only one who thought about spray painting the cover over the spring blue just to be nice to the next guy or no?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tips everyone! Plan to scope it out when I get home tonight from work! And do more research on what comes next. So long savings account!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Great looking truck--very tastefully done. Welcome!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, checked it out. Still has factory head bolts, so getting studs is in my future. As for the blue spring mod, on the regulator, someone put two blue dots on the outside. Not sure if that means anything, but hopeful it has been done.

So, heres my thought. To be able to monitor the motor, I am looking to add the Edge Juice with Attitude CTS. A local Ford dealership said they would re-flash a stock program for $89 just in case i have a program on the truck already. Does this sound like a good plan? I can monitor for a while and if I see a problem, get the solution kit done at a later date. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.