Going back to a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going back to a 6.0

I am considering going back to a 6.0 Some might say I am crazy and other may not. I owned a 2006 6.0 and never had an issue with it. The reason for going back is pretty simple. The wife and I want to start making some plans for the future. I am in pretty good shape on my truck as far what I owe and what it is worth. I can sell it and make enough to pay off some other toys and pick up a 2006-2007 6.0 for a lot less monthly payment. We just paid off the wifes car this week, so we are heading in a pretty good direction. We want to buy some property and start building on it for a get away place now and retirement later. I am pretty famaliar with the issues involving the 6.0, EGR, studs, gaskets. I would address all of that and bullet proof the motor. Any thought or opinions on going back to a 6.0? Any concerns ya'll can tell me to look out for?

Thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Studs delete, Coolant filter. Switch to red ELC. Check the FICM V. Get an edge CTS and youre golden
Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Check Deltas with Edge CS/CTS before buying.
Check FICM voltage
Also, run it HARD on the test drive and check for any puking of coolant.

Knowing all these are good and after the purchase I would immediately do a coolant filter, EGR delete, and an SCT with some cusom tunes (maybe even just a street tune)

But, I believe you are making a very wise decision for the future and your family
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Personally Steve I think that would be a sound decision made for the right reasons. If you can work on it yourself it isn't all that expensive to bulletproof a 6.0. Also it doesn't have all the pollution crap your 6.7 has. I mean exhaust fluid, really? Come on now. How far behind is the blinker fluid? No way I'd give up my 6.0 for a 6.4 or a 6.7. Besides I still think the 05-07 SD is the best looking truck Ford has ever made.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Also, I believe with the knowledge to look at all these items BEFORE buying a truck and getting one with good deltas and no puking, one might never even NEED to bulletproof it more then an EGR delete.

As long as coolant doesn't go into the combustion chamber and a person doesn't abuse it on a race tune, ones truck might last a LONG time before having to do HG work
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, for the imput guys. I'm not as up on the 6.0 as I am the 6.4 and 6.7. I am looking for a clean low mileage, that hasn't been lifted and looks like the owner took care of it. Hopefully that will give me a piece of mind. I will also have an oasis ran on the truck.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Like we said, If your set on a 6.0 truck buy an Edge CS, CTS, or Scanguage 2 for you monitoring needs. Get it before you make the purchase and you will be a MUCH more informed buyer
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You sound like you have your priorities in order . a well maintained 6.0 should last a long time they are strong engines but have their known problems. Hope to keep mine for a long time as well. Buy an edge insight or a scan gauge before you go drive any of them. I bought a CTS and my truck has ran great since, checked all the deltas and voltages before purchase, also oasis was as clean as a whistle
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Ok can somebody explain the need or the purpose of buying the sct, scan gauge and so on before I buy. Do I just plug it in on the test drive or while it is on the lot? Like I said not real up on the 6.0. I didn't relly get into the tuning til I bought my 6.4.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The cts is an edge monitoring product used solely for monitoring the engine vitals. It's imperative that you do this before purchase as you might ending up biting off more than you can or want to chew.

Plug it in on the lot and scan for codes as well as take it for a drive and monitor engine vitals. Make sure the engine gets upto operating temp and watch te delta's (temp spread between oil and coolant) if it's close to or over 15* either move on or tell them you want the oil cooler and egr cooler replaced before purchase of that's the truck you are set on. Also as Eli stated run it HARD to see if you can make it puke. If you can move along or again tell them you want the head gaskets or egr repaired (could be either). Check oil, coolant, trans fluid etc.

Also if you have an iPhone, iPod touch or an iPad look into the dashboss monitor. It is amazing, monitors more than the cts and can data log as well as many other features also a big thing here is its $170 and expandable where the edge is $299-$399 plus you have to pay for expanding it and the scangauge is $169 bu is non-expandable.

Last edited by Tuscany; 11-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.