Can Fords IDS Flash "back"?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can Fords IDS Flash "back"??

Hello all. I just had service done and the tech decided while he was clearing a code for egr valve, he would "check" and update my PCM and TCM. My truck runs funny now.. Shifts are delayed into gear from park, there's a constant change in Exaust note, from a rumbling back to whistle to rumbling. My tuck used to whistle loud idling especially cold and now nothing. It drives different too.
Can this be changed back to the way it was ?? Any techs know? Or am I stuck with it?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The dealer won't be able to "roll back" to a older PCM flash. The only option you have is Bill at PHP (powerhungryperformance.com).

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Do you know this as a fact? Only reason I ask is that I was told that IDS software "saves" old programing in case of a malfunction during new install.
If what you say is true...than I sure regret going for service today...
Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

this is a fact as far as I know it also

but give the flash some time to go through the adaptive relearn ,, it may act weird fo a while
Old 11-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Oh and as far as getting an unwanted flash ,, welcome to the club .. I can see them doing this crap when under warranty //but not after
Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 PM

It'll sort itself out. The latest strategy is actually pretty good imo. Cold starts great and i can still pull down almost 22mpg highway.

The vane sweep of the turbo is nice to have since my truck idles a lot. It will cycle itself after idling for a few minutes. Does it more often when cold since the truck isnt burning fuel as efficiently as when its already at temp.

Jason
Old 11-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
It'll sort itself out. The latest strategy is actually pretty good imo. Cold starts great and i can still pull down almost 22mpg highway.

The vane sweep of the turbo is nice to have since my truck idles a lot. It will cycle itself after idling for a few minutes. Does it more often when cold since the truck isnt burning fuel as efficiently as when its already at temp.

Jason
Thanks for the reassurance...
I see you have a similar platform...CCSB 20" tires. How are those bilstein 5100's riding?? My ranchos suck to say the least. I ride in other trucks with them and they seem ok. Maybe because I run 70-80 psi? Heavy fifth wheel hauling.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 PM

They are good, i guess...My dodge rode better, but ran D rated 315's on 16" wheels at usually only 45psi.

They are better than stock and are much more in control of the suspension when towing heavy. While empty, i didnt really notice a difference, but my OE shocks were also in usable condition. When towing the stock shocks would let the truck pitch f/r more than i was used to(thought i loaded my trailer wrong!) and now thats pretty much gone.

They have been on the truck 30k miles not and the body is in good condition and best i can tell are working the same as when they were installed.

I also run 70psi f/r as i almost always have a trailer hooked.

Jason
Old 11-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
NO DEALERSHIP is allowed by federal law to flash your truck unless there is a recall that directs them too, or unless you bring it in for a problem and a TSB directs them too and if its a cash job they must call you first before they flash it! This is our policy because i mentioned to my service manager that some trucks may have a tune in them! just a f,y,i,
Old 11-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Thanks Jason. I'm thinking I may Just have bad shocks. They're not leaking but do have 79k and are original.

Jugernaut, I did have my edge in (for gauges) and SCT. I hope they didn't get screwed up. I do notice a noise from under hood while running that was never there before. Sounds like marbles I guess from the injectors? The "diesel" sound has changed would be the best way to describe it.

Can they reprogram me back to what I had before if I go back Monday morning?? Before they have a chance to delete the IDS session?
EDIT: They didn't ask first....and all I have left is the end of my 5/100 warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.