IPR coolant filter and problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IPR coolant filter and problems

I just noticed. I meant to put this in general not performance. Could mods change it? 2005 6.0 - DONE

I put my IPR high flow coolant filter and a new thermostat in four days ago. I was going to put the blue spring in at the same time but couldn't find the set of torx bits that has the right bit in it.

My truck always ran at 193*. A couple of months ago it started dropping to 182*-186* so I figured time for a new thermostat. I put in the new thermostat and moved over to install the IPR filter. I ran the in line from the black heater pipe to the in line on the filter and the out to the heater valve. I wanted it in line and very seldom need max/ac here in Maine in the summer. I finished and left in the warm garage for the night. The next morning I checked the coolant level, just below the minimum mark, and took it out side to warm up. I looked for leaks then let it warm up for a while. When I checked a little later the ECT was at 190* and the EOT was at 188* by the CTS. Happy with the new thermostat. I put the heat on max and waited for heat. The temp valve had been at max heat all the time it had been running so I thought I would get heat quick, but none came just very cold air. I figured must have air in the system so I took it to 3500 rpm and in a minute or so lots of heat. I left it running for a while and checked it again and it was ice cold in the cab. I noticed some anti-freeze on the black pipe and by the battery. I waited for my wife to get home in the evening so someone could run the throttle while I watched for leaks. By the time she got home it was about 45* I had her start it and I noticed the fan was turning and the AC lines at the condenser were getting cold. We went in and let it warm up. When we came out water was dripping pretty fast by the back of the inner fender. It turned out to be coming from the AC that was putting out cold like crazy. I had my wife rev it to 3500 and hold it their. I had used the factory clamp on the black pipe and it blew water from between the black pipe and hose clear out over the grill. I replaced the clamp with a screw type clamp, but that hose should have never built that much pressure unless it was dead headed somewhere. I checked the heater valve and it was open. I turned on max/AC and it closed. I thought although I didn't see any thing to bother maybe the hose had a kink just enough to cause it, so I ran a new hose with a big loop to be sure no kinks. Still the same. Now I figured maybe the heater core plugged although it would drive you out of the cab with heat before I started this endeavor. I spent hours back-flushing the heater with hot water, blowing it out, then cascade, then hot water, blowing it out, cascade again, hot water again, then I blew it out again and ran some distilled water through it. Water was crystal clear and ran right through. No luck still AC air coming out of the heater and the AC runs in every position except when the control is in the off position. I also noticed when I put it in the off position the heater valve closes, I didn't notice it do this before. I unplugged the vacuum line and the valve opened, so I left it unplugged so it would stay open, plugged the vacuum-line and tried again, still no heat. For some reason the water to the heater isn't circulating, I can hold my hand on the filter and it is just warm. The first time I started the truck and revved it up after getting up to temp I couldn't even start to hold my hand on it. Yes I checked the filter several times to be sure it wasn't plugged.

Fan running all the time AC putting out nice cold air all the time except when in outside air position and pressure enough to blow coolant clear out over the grill when revved up. Worked perfect the day before.. Maybe I messed up some wire when I mounted the filter. Hard to believe I could have though since I was doing my best to make sure I didn't, but it is possible I'm sure. My next moves planned are "first" to try it with the valve removed and "second" put the original hose back in to see what happens. I still can't figure why the fan is running all the time and why the AC works in all the heat positions.

I will be plowing my long driveway before long and I sure would like some heat. I just turned 92,000 and it has always been a trouble free truck. Just can't figure how my putting a coolant filter, that I very much like the design of, could start all this crap going on. I'm not blaming the filter itself by the way.

Last edited by SuperCrutyPS; 11-01-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From your description you have put the coolant filter in-line on your heater inlet hose-right? I think the resistance is too great through the coolant filter to get any significant coolant through the heater core. Iif you pipe the coolant filter as per instructions, you will get a far better differential pressure. As I recall my coolant filter tees into that same heater supply line (before the control valve) and the OUT side of coolant filter tees into line from radiator to degas bottle. Mine worked hot dang first time and both filter and truck heater still boil you out. You can't keep hand on either coolant filter or its lines, or IN or OUT from cab heater.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure if you thought about this but the filter will only flow one way. If you have your in and out ports switched you wont have flow.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys.

I guess I have it figured out. I took the filter out then put the cover back on, started the truck and the heater would drive a person out of the truck. I put the filter back in and no circulation, outlet stayed cold. Took the filter out again and all kinds of heat. I unhooked the hoses and put a length of hose on the inlet. I couldn't even start to blow through it.

I called IPR and talked to Vince. We went through everything I had done and all that was left was the filter itself. He had no problems with the way I had it hooked up, in fact I have read of others right here doing it the same way and using the lack of heat to tell when their filter was getting plugged. Vince said he had never heard of it happening before and would send me a new filter element. Good customer service, I would say. I will run it in the mean time with the filter element out.

The fan running is because its shot I would say. I unplugged it, started the truck and it kept right on turning. Must not have noticed it before. I could never hear it anyway. I have lost 89% of my hearing in my right ear and over 90% in the left.

Don't have a clue about the AC. The pipes to the condenser aren't cold now or covered in condensation. Must be a miracle or unsolved mystery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.