External coolant leak due to blown head gasket??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
External coolant leak due to blown head gasket???

Is it possible or has anyone had an external coolant leak at the head/block seam due to a blown headgasket? All I have read about is exhaust gasses going into coolant or coolant into the cylinders and hydrolocking, but never external leaks. This would be on an engine that is not cracked and has a full delete.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
No.... Check the hose connecting the oil cooler housing to the EGR delete.
bostonstroker97 likes this.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 AM

tuscany,

I checked the hose and it does not appear to be leaking...My leak suddenly appeared with the cooler weather we have had (45-50 f nigh time). I don't see the leak/puddle until the morning after sitting all night. My starter has some fluid on it, as does the rear corner of the engine/exhaust manifold area...would a HG failure ever leak into the exhaust manifold (no egr cooler-deleted)? It looks like it could be coming from there, but I am not sure if the leak is originating somewhere else. I don't get any puking that I can see, my oil is clean and so is the coolant.

Thanks for the advice...
Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If its leaking into the exhaust manifold and seeping through the mating surfaces of the heads to exhaust manifolds most likely you have either a cracked head.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM

Not what I wanted to hear!!! Two other follow up questions...if I had coolant in the exhaust manifold, would I get a lot of white smoke on start up??? And, would the truck run poorly with a cracked head? My truck seems to run really goood...and never any smoke (black or white) out of the tail pipe. As you can tell, I am trying not to face my problem here...ie spending a ton of money.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
I would pull the egr cooler or cooler delete and check the seal that mounts to the intake. Mine did the samething and my oring was pinched.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Well, my intermittent leak went away with the warmer weather....all of the suggested areas to check also looked dry...

I just completed the BPD degass bottle to water bottle head gasket/ egr cooler test and I have a small but steady stream of bubbles. When I press the accelerator, the bubbles momentarily stop but then continue faster. The test was performed with truck warmed up. Is there anything else that could cause these bubbles with this test? I have a complete egr delete so it is not the eger cooler. Side note, I did notice that I am missing the rear bolt on the passenger side intake manifold. Would this affect anything, or be related to my current issue? My truck works so well it is hard to believe there is something as major as bad head gaskets.

I bought this truck used from a major dealership about 3.5 months ago, and am outside of my 30 day warranty. I was able to find the performance shop that did the mods for the previous owner. They stated that the PO traded it in to the dealer because a year or so later after they worked on it, the HGs went again. So the dealer sold it to me with a bad engine. Do you think I have any recourse with the Dealer?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if your state has a lemon law, then you can go back on the dealership as far as i know.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Thanks, but lemon in florida doesn't cover used vehicles...what I don't get is, I took my truck to a diesel specialty shop right after I bought it to be checked out, and they didn't find the problem...I followed up with them after I figured out what was going on, and they said they don't put any gauges or take any major steps when doing a basic check on vehicles...I am thinking, ok, 1 , 2 or 3 notorious issues with these engines, and you don't specifically check for them? Once I read about how to check for it, it didn't even take 1 minutes once the truck is warmed up. Not to mention I had ford gold puke signs dried everywhere that wasn't easy to clean up...come on! If I knew what I know now when I bought the truck...
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM

Bulltet Proof Diesel water bottle test vs. pressure gauge test

Ok....so after I completed the BPD water bottle test (connected to degas bottle- which resulted in a moderate steady stream of bubbles in the water bottle), I decided to go get a couple of quotes from a couple of shops for HG repair.

The shop I was leaning towards using, and which is also pretty much the only place in town that is recommended for 6.0s other than the dealer, pressure checked my system from the degas bottle, which I wittnesed: the gauge needle barely moved...they are telling me that I don't have a problem and that I probably overfilled my degas bottle....This shop pretty much does all the area 6.0s, and I want to believe them, but can I have bubbles in the BPD test and still have ok headgaskets? I asked the shop about the BPD test, and he said they weren't familiar with their specific test, but that when you pressure test the system under load, it will be real obvious, and on my truck...the needle didn't even barely move....I mean, he could have lied and sold me the job...what do you guys think...They seem honest and reliable...I just want to make sure I don't have a problem that grows into a bigger one..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.