Help narrowing down ECT temp issue after many repairs... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help narrowing down ECT temp issue after many repairs...

To make a long story short just recently purchased an '04 6.0 with about 165K, after my fuel/egt/trans gauge install and leaving my SCT in data logging mode I noticed it had a real bad 30-40degree delta while 5th wheel towing 15-22K.

Just a little over a month after many scary trips home, avg 500-700mile day trips 2-3x a week decided it was time to change this cooler with ECT at 195-210 and EOT 235-245, went with a ford cooler and updated oil feed/return for turbo along with a full coolant flush with just distilled water, new t-stat stanley and diesel site coolant filtration kit.

After all this im currently at 182Kmiles and loving the 2-10degree deltas at full tow weight along with a decent 9.4-10.2MPG BUT my ECT now now avg 200-215 and spike to 220-230 but the fan only kicks on a handful of times in a 12-16hr run. I am using Fleet Charge coolant at 60/40water before my flush the truck was running on bright green prestone and never saw high ECT just the hige EOT delta which my new cooler corrected

On a side note I found out thru my mechanic I did not have a clogged cooler it was worse after some searching I found out my truck had a IPR oil cooler what a shotty design!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 04:33 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
IPR are considered to be one of the better coolant filters. Have you replaced the filter? You should have done a full flush of the cooling system and you might need a new fan clutch. Also you should be running 50/50 ratio. The water is what actually transfers the heat not the coolant itself so 40% is not enough. Do you have any coolant loss? Could be HG's also.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Last edited by WarChild; 10-31-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 AM
Premium Member

also people do seem to see a slightly higher coolant temp with ELC but i wouldnt say its that much higher. im also pretty sure you can use your sct ( its a livewire i presume ) to change the temp at which the fan kicks on i think if i remember correctly.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its not an IPR coolant filter kit, it was an IPR oil cooler with many holes drilled into the bottom of side of it, the coolant kit I decided to go with came from DieselSite. I dont have any coolant loss just the small blow-by since it was filled to the middle but once it settled to the min line/neck it has not moved and I dont see any white smoke under cold starts/accel. Compression test passed when I first bought the truck because the previous owner blew it in a race tune so since 160k it has been studded with new HG's.

Its not a livewire just a old X2 that came with the truck no option for the fan. Would switching back to the green prestone or another type of ELC be suggested instead? Im loving the current low oil temps and small deltas dont want to start messing with too many things as to clog the new cooler.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:11 AM
Premium Member

i recommend to stay away from prestone coolant especially mix any color... if you just want a standard coolant make sure its no silicate coolant most of them are green in color. just make sure it has no silicates and do a thorough flush so you dont gel anything.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:33 AM
War is the answer!

Ahh...I got it now. You need a complete flush. Fill with the recommended cat ec1 rated elc. Go check out your fan clutch. I nearly see 210* ect when towing heavy In The mountains. Unloaded I run 188-192. Eot runs about 196-198 unloaded. I have the stock oil cooler though. Depending on your oil cooler system, I don't know anything about the ipr system, you want to make sure it stays under 250 as you wish rupture after that.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Ahh...I got it now. You need a complete flush. Fill with the recommended cat ec1 rated elc. Go check out your fan clutch. I nearly see 210* ect when towing heavy In The mountains. Unloaded I run 188-192. Eot runs about 196-198 unloaded. I have the stock oil cooler though. Depending on your oil cooler system, I don't know anything about the ipr system, you want to make sure it stays under 250 as you wish rupture after that.

Sent from my SPH-L710
I have a stock oil cooler now I was getting 235-245EOT with the crappy IPR oil cooler based on what I read about it. With the new stock one I am only getting a 2-10degree delta which is amazing based on my old numbers only issue now is the ECT spiking under hard accel or up long hills.

About how much are you towing? I avg 15-22k depending on mix of cars I have on my 50' 3car trailer. Just trying to get down into the issue as to why my ECT stayed so low with the "cheap" green stuff vs this pricer ELC red coolant, if it werent for my high ECT I would be able to maintain a 200-210EOT which I find to be great considering the workload this truck goes thru getting bi-weekly oil changes etc.

Just clarify I am seeing the 220+ECT only as a spike uphills or hard accel merging into traffic, when I am crusing on flat roads or maintaining 62-65 in the top gear my ECT is 194-200 and EOT of 197-205.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 AM
War is the answer!

I just towed about 15, 000-17, 000 lb race trailer two weeks ago up to Atlanta motor speedway.
You need to do the delta test to get a proper reading but your numbers don't sound too bad imo. The test consist of running steady 55-65 mph for about 15-20 minutes unloaded on flat road after a full warm up. Meaning both eot and ect should be over 192*.
What did you do with the ipr oil cooler? I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it.
Sent from my SPH-L710

Last edited by WarChild; 10-31-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The IPR cooler that the OP is talking about was the direct replacement for the OEM cooler, it was installed in the OEM location. It's not the NEW external IPR cooler kit. This IPR cooler had larger coolant passages in the oil cooler and allowed coolant to flow faster and more volume thru the cooler. The problem with this is, it flowed too fast and didn't allow enough heat transfer to cool the oil.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 AM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
The IPR cooler that the OP is talking about was the direct replacement for the OEM cooler, it was installed in the OEM location. It's not the NEW external IPR cooler kit. This IPR cooler had larger coolant passages in the oil cooler and allowed coolant to flow faster and more volume thru the cooler. The problem with this is, it flowed too fast and didn't allow enough heat transfer to cool the oil.
Ahh...junk I get it.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.