HELP! Smoking Gun! Nah smoke ???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! Smoking Gun! Nah smoke ????

Hey guys, just another guy wanting to know about smoke. I hi jacked a thread but figured I should make my own as mine is slightly different. On cold start ups, or with the hot start plugged in I get a greyish smoke briefly, and it goes away. No there has been times, I have started the truck in the mornings and walked back in the house to go back out to a smoking truck, the smae at start up but still grey smoke. Almost like cold mornings with a gas engine with the condensate in the exhaust.

On that not, today going to lunch, I passed a parking spot, threw it in reverse and goosed it. As I looked in the side mirro I saw a puff of blue smoke. I have seen it recently before and was curious and am hoping it is not a cracked head issue, but maybe time to do some looking around the turbo seals. Please shoot me some ideas. Everything I have is in the signature below. I don't run tunes other than the atlas 40 on the FICM. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have seen this posted, when the ccv mod has been done. How long have you had the ccv mod, think that may be part of the problem?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

A blown turbo seal should blow smoke every time you pull out and get worse as time goes on. No matter what oil you run, you should smell it and it will about burn your eyes. The grey is fuel and it should go away as the truck gets warmer, probably a sticking injector, got one myself at the moment.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
I have seen this posted, when the ccv mod has been done. How long have you had the ccv mod, think that may be part of the problem?

Southend, I have had the ccv mod for about as long as I have had the FICM was redone, about 6 months or so. I have always notice the grey smoke. Not quite sure why the CCV mod would be an issue, would you post the link or explain please?

dfish, you maybe right as well. I got a carfax with my truck stating on it that the injector glow plugs and all were replaced at 55k and I am at 83k. Although I notice stiction happening, which I believe was a result of my FICM going out which is why I know have the atlas 40 tune on mine. I have the rev x in now to help with it and haven't noticed it as bad. I had been wanting to take the injectors to send to Warrens to have the stock+ done to them.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Premium Member

Here, alot of info, not sure if this is your problem.......http://lmgtfy.com/?q=6.0+ccv+mod+causing+smoke+

Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 AM
...swamp trash...

The CCV mod issue just happened to me. I built my own catch can and simply wasn't thinking and made my outlet to it too small and so was the filter. Removed it and all good. Now my catch can outlet is wide open ( I plan on drilling the outlet out more and putting a mesh screen in place over the weekend). I guess what I'm trying to say is any restriction in the system (whether its a collasped hose or plugged filter) will make it smoke pretty bad. Not sayin thats what you got, just figured I would throw it out there!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Premium Member

Good info, merc.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Ok, I think I maybe reading this wrong. The greysih smoke I am getting is out of my exhaust. I am getting the steam and nasty smell out of my CCV mod, but from what I have seen on you tube with others, that is a normal amount for a 83k mile engine. The grey I have is from exhaust pipe. The bluish colored smoke I seen the one time was also from my exhaust pipe. Only thing I can do for my CCV mod is take th filter i put on the end off to make it breath better, I only had it there as a precaution to sucking dust particules in.

Anyone got thought on any of this?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Premium Member

Take the filter off.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Take the filter off.

Gonna do it at lunch in 20 minutes. But will it do anything for the smoke on the exhaust side I am getting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.