My experience with ATF in fuel tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My experience with ATF in fuel tank

I have heard of people running a quart of ATF in the fuel tank at each fill up, and I just happen to have a ton of ATF laying around. My neighbor guy told me he has done it a few times in diesel and in gas engines, he says people do it to clean the fuel system (detergent in ATF).

I have been running a quart of ATF in my fuel tank since about the last 6 - 7 tanks, and I can say it has made an improvement in my particular case. I used to have some injector stiction issues when EVERY TIME I first cranked up the truck in the morning, and it would go away on it's own once warmed to operating temp. Since the ATF I have noticed that now when there is an occasional issue with stiction it goes away after about 3 to 5 seconds of the truck running.

So in my personal experience it has worked for me, and I am continuing to run the ATF in there now (because I still have about 3 - 4 quarts extra anyway) Truck has 142K on it, and as far as I know original injectors. Also note this trick doesn't work after the first tank, took me until about tank number 3 - 4 i think to notice the stiction was basically gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
Glad this worked for you but according to your signature your truck is modded, my question is... Will work with a 100% bone stock truck? Also which ATF are you using?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stiction is related to the oil side spool valves, I dont know how atf would help with that, unless you're saying you run atf in your oil?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM

The atf lubes the internals of your pumps and injectors.

Lube is good.

My truck is bone stock and it helps mine run smoother. In mine it makes anoticeable difference at startup.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:21 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
XPD is the best fuel additive you can put in besides bio. No fuel additive will fix stiction as that issue is on the oil side not the fuel side.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-18-2012, 02:59 PM

I have heard of this but was afraid to try it what ATF could u use and could u still use the diesel Kleen to help gellin as well?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:07 PM

Turbochared... Can you try 2-stroke and let us know how it helps? Compaired to atf.

I started using 1 oz per 2 gallons and I have noticed that the truck runs better. Compaired to using just Diesel kleen. Now I do both.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Running a simple B5 biodiesel is the best thing you can do for your injectors and then you don't have to add anything. As for the oil I'd suggest looking into Archoil AR9100 for injector stiction.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I started fueling up at the Walmart near me for that exact reason. Their pumps state that their fuel has at least 5% biodiesel up to 20%. That way I am not having to carry any additive for lubrication and it is usually cheaper there than most other places.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretoo View Post
I started fueling up at the Walmart near me for that exact reason. Their pumps state that their fuel has at least 5% biodiesel up to 20%. That way I am not having to carry any additive for lubrication and it is usually cheaper there than most other places.
that sounds nice and all but i cant imagine the rest of the fuel being very good... do you know where they are getting there fuel from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.