oil cooler replacement - cleaning hpop reservoir and other dumb questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil cooler replacement - cleaning hpop reservoir and other dumb questions

Getting ready to do oil cooler change and have a few questions.

Regarding the cleanup of the reservoir and engine valley area prior to installation of the new cooler. I am sure many have seen srmastertech's youtube videos on the procedure. My question is, he uses brake cleaner to get this area all nice and clean, and a ton of it goes into the reservoir (and he does suction what appears to be most of it out). Is this ok, or is brake cleaner going to be in the oil system if you do this?

I am also planning on doing the STC fitting, stand pipes, and dummy plugs, but am not having any problems with the current parts. Is this a must do while I am that far in? The truck has 84000 mi on it.

Also, I am runnning synthetic oil and have a pretty fresh change (less than 500mi). Do I have to do an oil change? I was told by one shop that they could do the oil cooler change w/o changing the oil. If the answer is yes, I would still put on a new filter.

Also, what is wrong with the tourbo oil feed tube with the braided line? Considering replacing this while i am in there. The drain tube appears to already be current.

Last question, while I am in there, if I can reach all the studs, I was planning on retorqueing them to spec, just in case. Is this ok?

My truck runs really good, but I have a Delta of about 15-20 on the highway, unloaded. I brought it down from 30-40 with a series of flushes (restore and restore +), but still not within spec. EOT just barely cracking 220...usually hanging at 218.

Thanks for all the help,
George M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmanrescue View Post
Getting ready to do oil cooler change and have a few questions.

Regarding the cleanup of the reservoir and engine valley area prior to installation of the new cooler. I am sure many have seen srmastertech's youtube videos on the procedure. My question is, he uses brake cleaner to get this area all nice and clean, and a ton of it goes into the reservoir (and he does suction what appears to be most of it out). Is this ok, or is brake cleaner going to be in the oil system if you do this? I use brake cleaner, but I haven't seen his videos. I use it on a rag and clean that way. I'd rather not have that stuff going through my injectors

I am also planning on doing the STC fitting, stand pipes, and dummy plugs, but am not having any problems with the current parts. Is this a must do while I am that far in? The truck has 84000 mi on it. The STC fitting YES, but the others can wait if you want. The tech that did mine, said it's not a matter of IF they'll fail, it's WHEN

Also, I am runnning synthetic oil and have a pretty fresh change (less than 500mi). Do I have to do an oil change? I was told by one shop that they could do the oil cooler change w/o changing the oil. If the answer is yes, I would still put on a new filter. I would change it. When you remove that oil cooler, oil will go everywhere anyway, and if you're planning to change the oil in the HPOP reservior..... Just be sure to fill that reservior before installing the new oil cooler

Also, what is wrong with the tourbo oil feed tube with the braided line? Considering replacing this while i am in there. The drain tube appears to already be current. I still have the old one

Last question, while I am in there, if I can reach all the studs, I was planning on retorqueing them to spec, just in case. Is this ok? This, I'm not real sure about. I guess you could try it and report back, but I've never heard of it being done. But I've heard of studs being replaced one at a time, and things going great

My truck runs really good, but I have a Delta of about 15-20 on the highway, unloaded. I brought it down from 30-40 with a series of flushes (restore and restore +), but still not within spec. EOT just barely cracking 220...usually hanging at 218.

Thanks for all the help,
George M
Hope that helps, my replies in red
Old 10-18-2012, 03:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I sucked out the oil but didn't clean the area. Once the oil was out, it looked clean to me and I didn't want to risk contaminating the area so I left it be.

Regarding an oil change just do it. You'll be messing with the internals of the engine where all sorts of contaminates can get in there. Changing the oil you'll know that you took the most precautions possible for a successful job.

On another note. I am glad to see that you WERE able to reduce your delta's with flushing, had you reverse flushed the oil cooler as well?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

The liner of the turbo line breaks down and cloggs up the turbo resulting in a burnt up turbo. The return line.....I didn't see much difference in the original hand bent one and the new one, but it was only about a $10 part so I put it on.

Be aware your oil filter housing top plate will not work with the updated feed line and its about a $300 part BUT it dose come with the new style feed line.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Help full tip: before you disconnect the fuel lines at the upper fuel bowl, put a cable tie (zip tie) behind the nut so the nut don't slide down the fuel lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

I had less than 100 miles on my oil so I bought a bucket and lid. I cleaned the bottom of the oil pan then dumped the oil into the bucket and sealed it. Im not waisting over $150 in oil.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post
The liner of the turbo line breaks down and cloggs up the turbo resulting in a burnt up turbo. The return line.....I didn't see much difference in the original hand bent one and the new one, but it was only about a $10 part so I put it on.

Be aware your oil filter housing top plate will not work with the updated feed line and its about a $300 part BUT it dose come with the new style feed line.
I thought the 05s had the updated housing cover that takes the collar/bolt mount.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmanrescue View Post
I thought the 05s had the updated housing cover that takes the collar/bolt mount.
They do, it was the early 04's and 03's that had the other style
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Help full tip: before you disconnect the fuel lines at the upper fuel bowl, put a cable tie (zip tie) behind the nut so the nut don't slide down the fuel lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Thanks. Will make sure to do this
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
I sucked out the oil but didn't clean the area. Once the oil was out, it looked clean to me and I didn't want to risk contaminating the area so I left it be.

Regarding an oil change just do it. You'll be messing with the internals of the engine where all sorts of contaminates can get in there. Changing the oil you'll know that you took the most precautions possible for a successful job.

On another note. I am glad to see that you WERE able to reduce your delta's with flushing, had you reverse flushed the oil cooler as well?

Yes I reversed flush the cooler and heater core after the restore flush with a ton of water kinking and unkinking the hose several times. Then I reasembled and flushed more water through the degas bottle. Then did the restore +, but did not backflush again because I thought that port on the cooler was such PITA to get to. I just flushed a ton through the Degas. I wonder if I would have had better results with another backflush. I also installed my coolant filter during my flush process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.