need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help

Hey guys. How are you? I come today to ask a question about the 6.0. I had to sell my 85 dodge because of hg problems. Im looking for a 2006-2007 ford f350 rclb. Im a dodge guy at heart. However the price of the 6.0 are just to inticing. I can get a truck 3 years newer for 6000 less.

Any way my questions are this (and I did search).

How much better are the 06 and 07 than the previous years. My understanding is that they are better, but how so exactly.

My next question is obviously alot of guys tune there trucks on this site. I believe if the 6.0 is as bad as people say there would be none on the road. However a ton of people drive them. Does the hg problems come about because of tuning? Otherwise if I keep the truck stock can I expect to get 200k out of it before hg issues? As apposed to a 100k out of a tuned truck? I really have no desire to tune the truck. I need a work horse for my business (it would mostly pull a 7x14 dump trailer. At most I would put an economy tune on the truck.

Third I can get oasis reports at my moms work. Can I assume if the truck has had many recalls that it is problem free now? Or should I assume a truck with no issues will develop them? I really dont wnat to get into tearing engines down. What way is best to avoid that?

This truck will be a daily driver, so it will get worked which from what I read is an issue on these trucks (sitting).

I know of a contractor here that runs a 6.0 every day and he says he has never had a problem. He doesnt watch any tempetures or have a tune on the truck. So im curious if tuning is the main downfall to the hg issue? It would make sense to me if that is the case. Because an engine for the most part is designed to run stock. Tuning it will add more heat which would obviously mixed wiht other problems cause a hg problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tuning is not the issue although if tuned incorrectly it can cause an issue or speed one up. The main problem with the head gaskets lies in the egr cooler and oil cooler. You still have a lot to read, read the stickies in this forum about the 6.0 general information and you will learn what happens. I run "hot" tunes everyday at 120k miles and i drive it hard.. No problems, preventative maintenance is key

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have read those. Maybe I should restate the question. Why does it seem like some 6.0 jave problems while others dont? Is it mainly the ones guys tuned? Obviously some of he 6.0 s work the way they should what differencates those from ones that are problem child's? I know not every 6.0 has hg. Issues and not every 6.0 needs a egr valve cleaned or replaced. Nor do they need the oil cooler replaced. Is it just pure luck or is it a problem of the owner abusing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.