Proud Owner of a 05 6.0 Ex - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Proud Owner of a 05 6.0 Ex

Hey guys been a while since Ive been on here... Had some major problems with my 2002 7.3l and had to get rid of it the dealership gave us 10000 for a Truck that didnt run. The only thing they had that was big enough for our growing family was a 2004 Dodge Durango It only lasted about 6 months till my wife gave up on the POS. She just happened to jump onto autotrader and found a 2005 EX at a dealership they were asking 20000 for it with 93444 miles on it. Booked for 25000 walked out the door for 17000. The truck is fully loaded with DVD heated seats, everything except the sun roof. My wife is happy im happy and the kids cant even fight with each other. Just have a few questions for anyother 6.0 owners.

First Fuel Economy the truck is bone stock so air intake 4 inch turbo back exaust and tunner should help anything else that will help that isnt going to ruin the reliablity.

Second Reliablity what should I do to the truck to make it more reliable.

Third I have a few issues with the truck (Why I got it 17000 out the door) The DVD player comes on but doesnt load a DVD, Screen is intermittent, Not sure whats wrong with it, any ideas would be great. Also interior lights dont come on with the doors open or the brightness knob. Some one told me its the G.E.M?

Anyhelp would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome back!

First thing first. Do ya gotta monitor for the motor (edge)? This will tell ya how the trucks doin and were you need to start pouring your money first...
Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!

Get a scanner/monitor. Gotta know what's going on with it to know if its healthy or not.

My edge insight cs is at hone waitng for me to get out of this hot hell hole.
I haven't been able to mess with it so i can't give a good opinion but I got mine from eBay for 250 instead of like 320 from website.

Way I understand is its plug and play. Plugs directly into truck and let's you begin monitoring ,

Theres the sticky monitoring the 6.0 I think at the top of the general that will tell you what to monitor and let's you compare yours to what's normal.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get a monitor......Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
Welcome. You will figure out real quick how to spend some money, if necessary.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM

i bought one then took it out i was to busy looking at it all the time ,so now i will put n maybe once every few weeks it made me a nervous wreak watching it all the time .now its fun driving again
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't suggest an intake because its a waste. with a turbo back mbrp exhaust an sct from innovative on an eco tune I was getting 17 mpg and mine is lifted.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by averageguy View Post
I wouldn't suggest an intake because its a waste. with a turbo back mbrp exhaust an sct from innovative on an eco tune I was getting 17 mpg and mine is lifted.
Really?? a good air intake or even just a better air filter even on my 7.3l I could feel a diffrence in it and saw a good .5 to 1.0 mpg with nothing else on it (no exaust or tune). Im new to the 6.0 my uncle has one but his is stock, I can see the point of cost at first over fuel savings but being able to clean the filter and not buy a new one every 5000 miles is worth the initial cost. Thanks for the info tho anybody else running something similar with the SCT and MBRP what are you seeing?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:13 AM

I too came from a 7.3 to a 6.0 and I totally agree that you could feel a difference with a free flowing intake on a 7.3. That just does not seem to be the case with the 6.0. They did a very good job with the flow on the factory intake. Most guys on here with better experience that me say to just save your money until you are over 500 hp. Then worry about the intake restriction.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTROKETHIS View Post
Really?? a good air intake or even just a better air filter even on my 7.3l I could feel a diffrence in it and saw a good .5 to 1.0 mpg with nothing else on it (no exaust or tune). Im new to the 6.0 my uncle has one but his is stock, I can see the point of cost at first over fuel savings but being able to clean the filter and not buy a new one every 5000 miles is worth the initial cost. Thanks for the info tho anybody else running something similar with the SCT and MBRP what are you seeing?
Check my profile pictures, an aftermarket cai is a joke. I dumped the front cover, did the Zoodad hole, added AiRaid filter and picked up 1~2 mpg. $75!

I use a Scan Gauge II that I got from Auto Zone for $150. While it doesn't have the CS/CTS bells and whistles, it was less than half the cost. Then I use Auto Meter for fuel psi and EGT (good to have both).

I live at 4000ft, I'm on 35s, and I can get 14 in town. Lower alts= better mpg.

Exhaust and an SCT are going to cost you. I got lucky and found my X3 on eBay for $120. I like my SRL tune from Gearheads better than the Extreme tune from IDP.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.