Towing and Fuel Mileage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing and Fuel Mileage?

I just did a 1400 mile round trip, Omaha - Dallas - Omaha. I was a little disappointed to say the least with my mileage... 10.39 mpg round trip...

I had a 24' enclosed trailer in tow. I had a 1990 Nissan pick-up (3000lbs, tops) in it on the way down to Dallas, and Buell Blast (360lbs) in it on the way back. the trailer is a Pace 24' tandom axle. I got roughtly 9.5-10 on the way down, and 11 on the way back

does this sound normal? I had the cruise set around 65 mph most of the way. I tried to keep the rpms around 1750 - 2000 while cruising.

Last edited by blownnjucied94; 10-14-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
A single digit when towing isn't uncommon. All depends of driving habits, speed, load, axle configurations, road conditions, etc... The important thing (at least for me) is how well my truck works for me. Your MPG will turn back to normal after a while.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I had just pulled about a 10k load with mine about a week or so ago with my tow file and only managed around 10 mpgs.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wow, ok, guess i shouldn't worry. I really babied, left it in tow/haul mode and left the cruise on.

just did some looking and the Pace curb weight is around 3800, the nissan was around 2800 plus ~ 1000 of misc cargo between the truck and cabinent in the trailer... somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.5k...

the truck pulled amazing, the trans temp never rose about 175, the max EOT i saw was 225, and ECT was 220.

I was running one of IDP's tunes.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownnjucied94 View Post
wow, ok, guess i shouldn't worry. I really babied, left it in tow/haul mode and left the cruise on.

just did some looking and the Pace curb weight is around 3800, the nissan was around 2800 plus ~ 1000 of misc cargo between the truck and cabinent in the trailer... somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.5k...

the truck pulled amazing, the trans temp never rose about 175, the max EOT i saw was 225, and ECT was 220.

I was running one of IDP's tunes.
I'm glad you're happy with your truck. Our trucks are work horses ready for action.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One thing that annoyed me was downshift schedule. It seemed it downshifted to easy. There wer e a ton of hills that it would downshift right at the crest, overshoot target speed then coast back down. It seemed to downshft at 66% load in fifth. Does anyone see pros or cons to adjusting downshifts?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Cruise control on our trucks also kills MPG. Also if you would have drove it without cruise control than you could have better chose shift points by how hard you were in the fuel.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM

Just to chime in I just towed my 18' car trailer with my 2004 mustang GT on it 1800 miles and hand calculated I got 14.3 MPGs. That's going 70-75 the whole time. No cruise control. And running Vivian's tow tune. Before the tow tune I did the same run and got closer to 11.5

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 PM

And the tow tune from her kept me real cool.. One really long hill got my temp to 217 oil and 212 coolant. Usually never went about 207 and 200. Love that tune. Also shifts great

Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankf250 View Post
Just to chime in I just towed my 18' car trailer with my 2004 mustang GT on it 1800 miles and hand calculated I got 14.3 MPGs. That's going 70-75 the whole time. No cruise control. And running Vivian's tow tune. Before the tow tune I did the same run and got closer to 11.5

how does this tune compare to IDP's tow tune? I have IDP's street, agg. street, and tow. I had the street tune loaded. my understanding was that tune was acceptable upto 10K worth of towing. I'm guessing I should have ran the "tow" tune?

Just to throw this out there, I am NOT trying in anyway to bad mouth IDP. I am a newbie to the diesel stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.