EGR blockoff rage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR blockoff rage

so yesterday, i get off work at 8:30am, and decided im gonna wait a few hours to start the process (note- i was home by 9). i start tearing into the truck at 1pm, call one of my buddies who wanted to help, and he shows up at 1:30. well after fighting my BPD oil cooler relocation to get the EGR cooler out, i literally hurl the thing out into the yard (i was mad/tired/irritated) when it finally comes out. so we then start fighting with the new up pipe, which unlike the instructions, is a complete pain in the you know what to get unbolted up top because of heat shields. getting it out involved lots of cursing and about 5 extensions from under the truck

so we get the up pipe in, everything bolted back down, and start fighting the turbo back in, which may as well be like reverse birthing a child. might i also add that if you have the BPD oil cooler relocation, XDP's hose uncluded with the EGR blockoff is too short. gotta trim and reuse the old. so we get it all in, i sit down on my sidewalk for a break, and decide to look at the old cooler as im explaining to one of my friends what its for.......when i notice its a BPD internally blocked off EGR cooler.

much rage and words were said that i am not proud of. oh, and ive got a leak at my up pipe......gotta try to tighten that today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Well, look at it this way, no exhaust will make it's way into the EGR cooler now. And with the new up-pipe, you no longer have that diversion scoop. So it's straight into the turbo now for possibly faster spooling... See... bright side!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

I ended up loosening both up pipes, securing all turbo clamps, then tightening the exhaust at the manifolds. I also ended up replacing every nut and bolt between the manifold and the turbo.

Patients, my Padewan, it will all come together.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ah, yes. It's those little things.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:18 AM

yeah i have to go out in the driveway in a little bit and try to get the up pipe tightened up some more. funny thing, it only leaks when the VGT adjusts when you first start it. unplug VGT actuator, no leak, plug back in, leak.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No vgt=no spool=no exhaust back pressure.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Int.Tech04 View Post
and start fighting the turbo back in, which may as well be like reverse birthing a child.
Yes it is! The first time I had to do it my wife came out and asked me what all the yelling was about. Then she climbed up there and gave me a hand. For some reason, it's much easier after the first time...
Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
want to sell that BDP blocked off cooler? assuming you didn't damage it in a fit of rage

I've got turbos down to 45 minutes. I rotate the ones on my truck. Got 3 right now sitting around
Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
want to sell that BDP blocked off cooler? assuming you didn't damage it in a fit of rage

I've got turbos down to 45 minutes. I rotate the ones on my truck. Got 3 right now sitting around
well i thought one of my friends was gonna buy it and my old EGR valve to go on his 05, but hes afraid the HG's are already blown, so hes gonna trade it in.

im sure we can work something out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.